Class 2 Medical

dahhcon

My class two medical expires this month. I plan on letting it go to a third because i won't need a 2nd class. However, I will have a checkride this spring. Even though the 2nd class has expired by the date on my medical but not the 3rd class, will this be a problem for getting my new rating?

First lets clear up a common misconception. A second class does not become a 3rd class after it expires. It remains a second class, however you can only use if for the same privelages that a 3rd would give you. But if you fill out any paperwork or whatever that asks you for what class your medical is, you would be incorrect saying it is a 3rd class, even though that's essentually what it is once your second class priveleges expire.

As for taking your checkride, all you need is a 3rd class so you should be fine. It does not matter that your 2nd class priveleges have expired, your medical is still valid, and that is all you need for a checkride. You just can't excercise the privelges of a comerical pilot certificate until you get it renewed.

First lets clear up a common misconception. A second class does not become a 3rd class after it expires. It remains a second class, however you can only use if for the same privelages that a 3rd would give you. But if you fill out any paperwork or whatever that asks you for what class your medical is, you would be incorrect saying it is a 3rd class, even though that's essentually what it is once your second class priveleges expire.

That's what I meant to say. Thanks for the reply; it answered my question.

Back