Clarity Pro vs Pro Plus vs Halo

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Traded in my 5 year old Clarity Aloft Pro for the Clarity Aloft Pro Plus at Mypilotstore.com

They gave me $460 in the trade which was considerably more than Clarity Aloft was willing to give me as an upgrade credit.

They’re ok, but still pale in comparison to the Quiet Technologies Halo. The wired speakers just can’t hold a candle to the sound tubes on the Halo.

Unfortunately QT is always out of stock and their service after the sale is miserable. The owner is a jerk who COULD have a world class aviation headset business if he could learn a little customer service.

I’ll probably wear the Halos until they self destruct and then reluctantly switch to my backup Clarity Aloft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I owned the Clarity Aloft Classic, and bought the Pro Plus and sold the Classic. Never tried Halo but I love my Pro Plus. Use them in the Airbus, warbirds, aerobatic, normal GA etc. and I have found them to be really versatile.

I'm not a fan of in-your-ear plug headsets. Your natural ear wax is going to be pushed into your ear canal over time, even if you clean your ears everyday. I'm also against having something in your ear with radios blasting in there. Even at low volume, it can't be that good for you long term. I like the headsets that rest on your ear and are ANR.

The key is to find something lightweight that doesn't feel heavy and clamped on your head. Currently I have a Telex 850 ANR. If I am forced over to the Boeing, I'll have to find something better.

I'm not a fan of in-your-ear plug headsets. Your natural ear wax is going to be pushed into your ear canal over time, even if you clean your ears everyday. I'm also against having something in your ear with radios blasting in there. Even at low volume, it can't be that good for you long term. I like the headsets that rest on your ear and are ANR.

The key is to find something lightweight that doesn't feel heavy and clamped on your head. Currently I have a Telex 850 ANR. If I am forced over to the Boeing, I'll have to find something better.

Ironically lots of studies have shown that ANR doesn’t prevent hearing loss.

I use the Bose Proflight in the Bus now and when we are forced kicking and screaming into the 737 I will use it in there too. That might be the best of both worlds as it’s not really in ear as much as it is, covering the canal opening.

Do you have an in-ear headset? Have you flown with one?

Because the guy who owns QT, despite his customer service skills, makes a great product.

And he’s an Audiologist. So, yknow, expertise and stuff.

Earwax is not an issue if you clean your ears.

Agreed. The Halo is fantastic. If Phil doesn’t want to provide the service that his headset deserves he should sell the patent to Clarity Aloft because it truly is a superior product

I've used ear plugs when at the gun range and at the dentist office if there's drilling/dental work. I just don't like the feeling in the ear.

I hardly fly on reserve now but if I'm forced to switch to the 737, then I'm definitely buying the Bose A20.

But isn't that the new in-your-ear thing? How far in does it go?

I dunno, but I literally find it discomforting when I wear ear plugs to shoot or go to the dentist for any drill/filing work. It just feels uncomfortable.
1544416083267.png

Been a long time user of the halo, never tried the clarity and never needed customer support for the halo.
Can't speak highly enough about them. I don't mind ear plugs and I feel like it protects my hearing better than anr. I can wear whatever hat and sunglasses I'd like and my OCD about noise intrusion is held at bay.
My last gig, owner said go buy new headsets for the plane. Got the DC pro x, pictured above. Absolutely loved them and the blue tooth rocks in the left seat. Can set it to not cut out with the radio or intercom. Anr was fantastic in a jet, killed the wind noise nicely, can't speak to it for killing the sounds of explosions making metal change direction.
Perfect world, I'd own both for flying anything. New gig has the 850's and they suck the sweat off a donkeys marbles.
Wish I could justify buying a set dc pros. :(

The DC Pro isn’t quiet enough for a 737 cockpit. Tried them and returned them.

Does anyone in a 737 use a regular full ear cover headset like a Bose A20? If so, even with the headset on can you hear the other pilot in cruise?

Yes a lot of people do. I’m mostly bald so I don’t like the feeling of anything on my melon.

Our airplanes have a switched intercom and it is widely used. Nobody tries to communicate without switching the intercom on to talk to the other pilot

Back