CJC MEC response to new fatigue policy.

sherpa

MEC Addresses Issues Regarding Revised Fatigue Policy

Fellow Pilots,

We have received many calls and emails from pilots over the past few days and, like you, we are disappointed that the company decided to change the fatigue policy. MEC Chair Mark Segaloff and Central Air Safety Committee Chair Ken Nagel spoke with management prior to the release of the new policy and raised a number of objections, some of which were addressed by the company in the new policy. That said, we believe the new policy applies a blunt instrument to a very nuanced problem, and your MEC will continue to raise our strong objections to the revised policy as we work with management in the formation of the Fatigue Review Board.

Simply put, a just safety culture seeks to educate, not threaten. Your MEC believes that the new policy promotes the latter at the expense of the former. This FastRead addresses our position on this issue and seeks to educate the pilot group on proper use of the fatigue policy.

To date, the company has lived up to its word and NO ONE has been disciplined for a fatigue call. Going forward, NO ONE will be disciplined for a valid fatigue call. Even with this new policy in place, if there are underlying circumstances that aren’t apparent, it is imperative you let Crew Scheduling know immediately. For example: on layovers of more than 12 hours, if the fire alarm goes off at 3:00 a.m., and wakes you up, or if you are having trouble sleeping because of noise, do not allow the policy to deter you from calling in fatigued. Contact Scheduling and your chief pilot and explain the situation. If they give you an inadequate response, call your ALPA representative.

Unfortunately, there has been questionable use of the fatigue policy by a few pilots which has caused a knee-jerk reaction by management. Questionable use of this policy has and will only hurt your fellow pilots. Below are some specific examples provided to us in our discussion with management prior to the introduction of the new policy. (NOTE: while some of these examples are from flight attendants, this behavior should not be condoned by any Colgan employee):

§ A crew member posted on his/her Facebook account that he/she planned to call in fatigued upon arrival in base for the purpose of getting home early.

§ A crew member called in fatigued and then proceeded to remain in the crewroom for three hours AFTER the call, socializing with friends instead of seeking rest.

§ A crew member who was trying to commute home called Scheduling and asked to be released early from ready reserve. Scheduling denied the request and then the crew member called in fatigued approximately five minutes later, claiming he/she fell asleep in the terminal. (If you are fatigued, USE the fatigue policy. Do not attempt to seek release from duty first.)

§ A crew member had four days off, and after the first round-trip on day one of the pairing, the crew member called in fatigued. Upon looking at the pass travel history, it showed that the crew member was in Cancun for three days and commuted in from Cancun to start the pairing. (It is the company’s responsibility to provide a sufficient rest period; it is our job to properly utilize the rest period. Also, no matter where the commute is from, as professionals we are expected to show up fit to fly and ready for duty.)

§ A crew member called in fatigued for an assignment slated to begin the next day. Upon further investigation of the call, it was determined that a three-hour round trip drive the crew member had to make was a factor in calling in fatigued. (Even though this crew member was tired from making this drive, it is our responsibility to show up for work well rested and to help mitigate outside factors such as commutes. Also, utilizing the policy so far in advance was inappropriate.)

§ Numerous crew members have told Crew Scheduling that if extended, he/she is going to call in fatigued. (You should NEVER threaten to call in fatigued. If you are fatigued, just say you are fatigued. It is the company’s responsibility to prevent fatiguing scheduling practices, not ours as line pilots.)

The above illustrates a misunderstanding of the policy in some cases, and blatant abuse in other instances. The company unilaterally decided a change of policy was needed due to this. However, keep in mind that it is an interim policy, and we will have the opportunity to sit down together and take an in-depth look at revamping it. An effective fatigue policy accounts for the cumulative effects of fatigue and allows for underlying factors to be analyzed.

With all that said, the bottom line is if you are fatigued due to operational disruptions, junior manning, lack of adequate rest, etc., CALL IN FATIGUED! At the same time, do not abuse this policy that is in place to ensure SAFETY. It is not intended to make sure you can catch your commute home or provide an alternative to the proper use of your rest period.

Moreover, don’t confuse a fatigue call with a sick call. We know many of our pilots have young kids at home. If the child gets sick in the middle of the night, causing one stress, lack of sleep, and an inability to properly rest before showing up to work, in following with the FAA IMSAFE Checklist, a sick call would be more appropriate. As a reminder, the IMSAFE Checklist is:

I

ILLNESS

Do I have an illness or any symptoms of an illness?

M

MEDICATION

Have I been taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs?

S

STRESS

Am I under psychological pressure from the job? Worried about financial matters, health problems or family discord?

A

ALCOHOL

Have I been drinking within the last eight* hours? Within 24 hours?

F

FATIGUE

Am I tired and not adequately rested?

E

EATING

Am I adequately nourished?

*Colgan Air policy requires 12 hours prior to duty

We all have a professional responsibility to show up to work, well rested and ready to fly. Once at work, if there is a fatigue-inducing situation, do not hesitate to call in fatigued. Reference the company FOPPM as well for additional guidance on fatigue and recognizing fatigue symptoms.

The Colgan management team and your CJC MEC have continued to forge our working relationship with the goals of improved working conditions for our pilots and better productivity for the company, as well as improved crew usage and standardized practices in scheduling. Our ongoing scheduling issues are continuously being worked through the company’s Scheduling Department and our ALPA Scheduling Committee. We already have agreed to better line construction parameters that address fatigue; we still need to work on improving our day-to-day scheduling issues. Furthermore, our reserve pilot rules will go through a much-needed and long-overdue overhaul in the upcoming weeks which will provide for more standardization.

However, this is only a start. We have a long way to go. Crew members have misused the sick policy and fatigue policy at times due to various ineffective scheduling practices. A few examples of these ongoing fatigue-inducing scenarios:

1) The company policy that allows for moving days to be scheduled during your days off;

2) A pilot who reaches 30 hours in 7 days and is made to deadhead in the middle of the pairing instead of having the last round trip removed on the last day;

3) Eliminating days off in schedules for the purposes of ground or simulator training;

4) Ten days off per bid period for reserve holders.

In closing, we are confident that management understands that, in the end, it is not about covering trips—the safety of our crews and the flying public will always take precedence. We look forward to working with them to enhance our scheduling policies. This will lead to better working conditions that are both fair to our pilots as well as productive for the company.

The next step is for us to work with our management team and the USW to create a Fatigue Review Board that will look at questionable fatigue calls. Fatigue is not a black-and-white issue, therefore whenever a call is questionable, a fair and equitable process should be in place to provide guidance to the pilot and the company.

If any Colgan pilot has any questions or concerns, please call the MEC hotline at 1-877-MEC-CJC1 (1-877-632-2521).

The Colgan MEC

A crew member posted on his/her Facebook account that he/she planned to call in fatigued upon arrival in base for the purpose of getting home early.

Wow......

A crew member called in fatigued and then proceeded to remain in the crewroom for three hours AFTER the call, socializing with friends instead of seeking rest.

doh.

Good, concise, well written response IMO.

Good response.

Posting on facebook indicating you're about to call in fatigued. . .hmm. . .

Not surprised. I'd have to take my shoes off to count how many people I can think of off the top of my head that would do that here. We had a guy post a video of his landing on YouTube, complete with date and flight number if I remember correctly.

2) A pilot who reaches 30 hours in 7 days and is made to deadhead in the middle of the pairing instead of having the last round trip removed on the last day;

That just happened to me at my regional. Instead of canceling a 2 hour round trip following a 14 hour day and min rest, they instead just deadheaded me two days later for 3 hours in the back of the fiddy next to a fatty. While paying somebody else 5-6 hours at time and a half...genius! Thanks for rest!!

Also why even have a 30 in 7 rule in the first place? Since these company can just jail you around in the back of a Brasilia for days while you "rest". Doesn't make ANY sense.

Facebook dude, Cancun dude, Crewroom dude, and Commuter dude should all have been fired on the spot.

I understand job related stuff is confidential, and the union isn't going to talk about it, but I hope they looked at these examples and told the pilots they were SOL and it was up to the company to decide their fates. What probably happened is the union wasted a bunch of time defending these clowns leaving less time for them to help represent and work for the pilots who aren't abusing policies.

To the MEC members: very well written response, with 2 exceptions, it would be prudent to indicate which of the above examples were fa's and which were pilots - give credit where credit is due. Also we should not be working with the United Steel Workers on this - flight attendants at colgan had never had a fatigue option, this is a pilot issue. If the USW wants to wheel and deal they can, but there NEEDS to be separate policies.

facebook dude, cancun dude, crewroom dude, and commuter dude should all have been fired on the spot.

I understand job related stuff is confidential, and the union isn't going to talk about it, but i hope they looked at these examples and told the pilots they were sol and it was up to the company to decide their fates. What probably happened is the union wasted a bunch of time defending these clowns leaving less time for them to help represent and work for the pilots who aren't abusing policies.

big time agreed.

Facebook and Cancun, sure give em the boot. Crewroom moron should have been suspended for being a moron. Commuter dude should have gotten off with a warning - not living 10 minutes from the airport is not always a choice.

Facebook and Cancun, sure give em the boot. Crewroom moron should have been suspended for being a moron. Commuter dude should have gotten off with a warning - not living 10 minutes from the airport is not always a choice.
Just to be clear, I was talking about the commuter who tried to get released to make a flight then called in fatigued when they didn't release him (not the guy who drives 3 hours).

Commuter dude should have gotten off with a warning - not living 10 minutes from the airport is not always a choice.

True, but you have the responsibility of being at work when you are expected to be. And if you are unable due to sickness or fatigue then yes you call off. However if you are trying to catch a commute home that is neither of the before mentioned....

Facebook dude, Cancun dude, Crewroom dude, and Commuter dude should all have been fired on the spot.

I take it you're not a believer in Unions. Sure, these guys made mistakes, but it shouldn't automatically cost them their career on their first offense.

That said, sometimes you can't fix stupid.

Wow, glad you guys don't represent me! Judge, jury, and executioners over here.

I take it you're not a believer in Unions. Sure, these guys made mistakes, but it shouldn't automatically cost them their career on their first offense.

That said, sometimes you can't fix stupid.
Belief in unions in irrelevant. There's a difference between a "mistake" and a blatant lie to get out of doing your job. I am assuming the union researched the stories and confirmed them as true and reported the facts in their memo. I have no patience for "professional" pilots acting in a way that would get them fired from a job at McDonalds. Toss out the trash and hire in some people who want to be there.

It scares me that you apparently think union membership gives you free reign to do whatever the hell you want.

However, my opinion is that there should be a review process with the union and mgmt to review these situations (and in the 4 cases I mentioned above the union should agree to whatever punishment the company sees fit for those crew members).

But at the end of the day it's not my union, not my fatigue policy, not my job on the line, and since colgan doesn't serve my city and I never deadheaded on them, it's not me sitting in the back possibly paying the consequences.

Back