Civil Air Patrol

[ QUOTE ]
H.S. Valdictorian (I didn't know you could get a 5.3 on a 4.0 scale)
ROTC (don't know what branch)
Eagle Scout (Explorers)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I feel like such an underachiever. And all this time I thought I was doing OK. Humbling....
wink.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle Scout (Explorers)

[/ QUOTE ]

Girls can be Eagle Scouts?

'canfly

Explorer Scout and Eagle Scout are two completley different things - Females can be Explorer Scouts, they can NOT be Eagle Scouts. Explorer Scouts is a scouting organization that is generally aligned with a particular interest(ie Law Enforcement, Aviation, etc) for older boys and girls. Eagle Scout is a ranl achieved in Boy Scouts which is currently not open to females.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to imply that soley because of CAP she is where she is.

Eagle Scout (Explorers)

and a few thousand other things under her belt.

She may be in the Reserves, too.

Who knows where she'll be in 4 years (probably graduating as the Cadet Commander, knowing her).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this reads like nearly every other cadet at the Air Force Academy. They are all the best of the best where they come from. It all depends on how they do at the Academy that dictates where they will end up.

CAP helps, as does any other community service organization, and so do grades, academic scores, GPA, class standing, leadership positions, and athletics.

But you go and ask the cadets at the Academy and many of them were valedictorians, varsity athletes, and class leaders in high school.

And if you are planning on going to the Academy or ROTC, some time in CAP will help you with drill. I joined CAP in high school, and I had learned the 54 drill command sequence, so when I showed up at ROTC, I was ahead of the game.

Re: Eagle

Oops!

Gold Award for her, Eagle for another cadet that is headed to USAFA. Both have Spaatz.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

[quote A lot of our cadets seem to attend the military academies and even have some of the academies fighting over them. One cadet, is heading to the Air Force Academy because they offered her a fighter pilot slot after graduation. She didn't want the tanker or sling wing slots from the other academies.

[/ QUOTE ]

JediNein, you may think I'm just picking on you, but that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read. Whoever told you that fairy tale was smokin' sumptin...

[ QUOTE ]
The race car sponsorship (which was just terminated) did not come out of federal money, but out of a corporate investment account (CAP's 'rainy day' fund).

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay then...can the racing team and get off the gubbamint teat with the savings.

Chunk, you simply haven't a clue what you're talking about here, so why don't you just zip it. CAP'ers perform services FOR FREE that YOU, THE TAXPAYER would otherwise have to pay somebody to do. CAP's saving you money, whether you can see it or not.

Well CAP isn't exactly free. It's funded by USAF Auxiliary money for SARs and DRs (Disaster Relief.)

It also funds itself with member dues and contributions.

The car is still running by the way. Finished in the top 10 at Kentucky.

Aloft,

I was a cadet for many years. Earhart recipient, even went to NCC with the Delware (MER) wing. PJOC as well. I know CAP. That is why now, as an adult, I think it should be cut from the federal budget and be allowed to make it on it's own.

Chunk<--recovering CAP cadet

[ QUOTE ]
Aloft,

I was a cadet for many years. ... I know CAP. That is why now, as an adult, I think it should be cut from the federal budget and be allowed to make it on it's own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but if your only exposure to CAP was as a cadet, you don't know squat. CAP provides one of those "inherently governmental" services, at a cost the government couldn't touch otherwise. That service isn't optional as far as the public is concerned, anymore than police and fire protection are. Although commercial ambulance service does offer an interesting analogy; are you prepared for the insurance premium hikes you'd be hit with if the government discontinued SAR services? I highly doubt it.

What you and the rest of your dittohead brethren are whining about is taxes, and honestly, I don't know why you feel justified in doing so; I'd venture to guess that what I pay in taxes each year approaches your annual salary, if not exceeding it outright. Keep at it, though; maybe someday you'll bust out of that 15% bracket.

Actually there is commercial fire protection, Aloft. One of the largest is a company called Rural/Metro. They have the have the contract for hundreds of communities, for example Scottsdale, AZ. So much for an inherently governmental service!

I am a Marine vet, so I know what the real service is like. I'm also a former firefighter/paramedic, so I know emergency services very well. I was a CAP cadet, but since I was only a cadet I don't know squat, huh? Anyway I like the CAP, & have considered rejoining. I believe they are good for their cadet program, & fine for their role in SAR. I say that because their role in SAR is cheap, compared to what the expense it would be to launch a military or other governmental air asset after an accidental ELT activation. So I sort of differ with Chunk in that I do believe they have a role, albeit a small one, in SAR. However, Chunk's comments are valid & important to the CAP if it wants to improve. The CAP has a HUMONGOUS image problem, & it's within the community (aviation) that it purports to serve . Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand. Many of the actions of the CAP have deservedly or undeservedly put their reputation at risk. That is above & beyond the notion that the CAP is a haven for geek/wannabes that couldn't make it in the military. Now before I get flamed I know that their are many current & former servicemen & women serving in the CAP. However, everyone can think of at least a few people in every unit that fit that "geek/wannabe" mold. Unfortunately, that is often the face of CAP, & it leaves a bad impression. Sponsoring a race car, no matter where the funds came from, will not serve to restore or enhance the CAP's image. It has to start with the interaction of CAP members with the aviation community.

By the way Aloft, before I get done, what the hell does what someone makes have to do with complaining about taxes? Don't you think that 15% is a lot to someone in the 15% tax bracket? Someone in the 15% tax bracket doesn't have the right to complain about how their tax dollars are spent? At what tax bracket is it ok to start complaining again? Enlighten me!

'canfly

[ QUOTE ]
Actually there is commercial fire protection, Aloft. One of the largest is a company called Rural/Metro. They have the have the contract for hundreds of communities, for example Scottsdale, AZ. So much for an inherently governmental service!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started on Rural/Metro...........

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me started on Rural/Metro...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know...it was only used to make a point. I am still a card carrying member of the IAFF!

'canfly

Aloft why so hostile to Chunk's post? Admittedly Cadet is only the beginning of a CAP experience, but I've noticed it is rapidly becoming the prime focus of CAP, as more and more flying opportunities are taken away due to liability and insurance problems. Here in Florida it's our own fault, too. The CAP safety record has been "less than stellar" in terms of crashing our own planes! This probably has to do with a lot of factors which I'll stay away from right now.

CFICANFLY is so right about the "geek/wannabes." I would say a significant percentage of senior members I have the "privilege" to work with are there just because they want to play soldier and strut around in a uniform. They do, in fact, ruin the reputation for those other hard-working senior members that are more concerned with the excellent missions of CAP. I used to teach ES 1 and 2 and I always stressed that the uniform was not why we were there, we were there to save lives.

I wish CAP had more funds actually. We need better aircraft, better training and particularly better radio work. It's embarassing sometimes to here a "CAP Flight" botching up the radio with unprofessional or poor technique.

I work with the USAF Liaison officers during SAREXs and DREXs. They have mixed feelings about CAP. They love the mission, and they view the cadet program as a great introduction to military life. Several have told me, however, that it upsets them when the uniform starts to look "too military" and the wannabes start acting like they are "real Air Force."

I love the CAP and what it did for my life in aviation. I will always place high value on the training I received, the missions I participated in, and especially the "find" and "save" ribbon I earned!

CAP is a great organization as long as it is held in proper perspective.

[quote I'd venture to guess that what I pay in taxes each year approaches your annual salary, if not exceeding it outright. Keep at it, though; maybe someday you'll bust out of that 15% bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...you guys on the left never engage in class warfare, do you? This is the second time in as many weeks that I've been called poor by someone on this board that's left of center. You guys conferring and ginning up some talking points or what? Lemme make this perfectly clear, no one on this board has the first clue about my finances. You all are making a whole lot of assumptions for people sitting on the other end of a loooong keyboard cable. The only statement I've ever made publicily is, "I'm not rich."

If I am poor, aren't you supposed to be helping me, according to the left's idea of fair? Aloft, I think you make too much money and owe me two hours of PA-44 time. Flight time redistribution for all!!!!

Chunk

[ QUOTE ]
Aloft, I think you make too much money and owe me two hours of PA-44 time. Flight time redistribution for all!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good one Chunk. You take the flight time. I'll just take the cash $$$
wink.gif

Back