Citation Type Rating

Gentlemen
I am going to have to reverse myself on this issue in light of recent new information, with qualifiers.

Our insurance company just issued us our new policy with a rider requireing that our copilots be school trainined and typed in our C-650. That's BS !!!

We are "negotiating" with them to relax this as it is cost prohibitive and unnecessary.

FAR 61.55 only requires a SIC to have received the following instruction within the previous 12 calendar months:

(1) Become familiar with the following information for the specific type aircraft for which second-in-command privileges are requested --

(i) Operational procedures applicable to the powerplant, equipment, and systems.

(ii) Performance specifications and limitations.

(iii) Normal, abnormal, and emergency operating procedures.

(iv) Flight manual.

(v) Placards and markings.

and to have completed 3 landings and takeoffs, one single engine.

We can accomplish this in house, and presently use only furloughed airline pilots or Military pilots for SIC duties.

We will get the relieve we seek, but at what price on our premium. One of our arguments is that the airlines fly with a SIC that is not typed, agreed they are well trained and supervised.

As always the insurance companies have alot to say about our operations and often impose more limits on us than the FAR's. So that being said ... getting a type may open a door regardless of experience and background. Its still BS.

Back