Cirrus

pilotots

Does anybody have experience flying or instructing in a Cirrus SR22? I was flying one today from the right seat, I really like the side stick (yoke thing) but I'm right handed, this is a problem flying and writing at the same time, not that I want to write a book while flying but I like to write down clearances and other stuff.

-C

Huh, I had never considered that before. Guess I'd be screwed, I can't write for •! with my left hand!
grin.gif

On a related note: Anyone notice that Cirrus is now offering free demo flights to CFI's? I think I'm going to give them a call sometime and try one out....

Cirrus is hitting it hard. I think you are going to see a lot more of them on the line at FBO's around the country because they are cheaper in total price, cheaper to operate and have better performance than Cessna's. A recent AOPA mag had a pretty big article in it about their growing popularity and usage in the Air Force Academy. My school, UVSC, is pretty much all Cirrus aircraft now for single engine operations (excluding HP/Complex).

My local FBO owner just took a ride in one this week, so I know he is thinking about them as well. Personally I have never flown one, but would like to get the chance soon.

Not to be an a$$, but you have to learn to trim the airplane so you can take your hands off the yoke or the stick to do other thing such as write. I have about 15 hours in th SR22 and it is very easy to trim. I too and right handed and have flown it from the right many times. You get it trimmed for straight and level and then you can take that hand and write.

I've read that the airplanes are almost unrecoverable from a spin, which is why they have the parachute system. In addition, doesn't the SR22 stall at a fairly high airspeed, something around 70-80 knots? Cirrus wasn't required to demonstrate spin characteristics for certification. In the design, good Spin/Stall characteristics were traded for higher cruising speeds I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
Cirrus
usage in the Air Force Academy.

[/ QUOTE ]I think you're thinking of Diamond Katanas and Eclipses.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody have experience flying or instructing in a Cirrus SR22?

[/ QUOTE ]I have a friend with an SR22. I caught on to that issue flying from the right seat. It's also an issue for a left-handed person flying from the left seat. That's true of all of the side-stick aircraft.

whoops, heh...you are right. Not necessarily Katanas, but Diamonds in general is what I was thinking of. Sorry for the confusion.

Back