Cirrus sr 22 question

Maddog1974

Does anyone out there know of flight schools that use SR 20 or 22 for primary training?

Does anyone here work for University of North Dakota or any other school that uses the 20 or 22 exclusively? I have questions about solo, performance, and other issues and need someone who can answer questions.

Thanks

I've flown the -20 and -22 and would be surprised if it were used as a primary trainer. It is not difficult to fly but it is not your usual 80mph with a GPS airplane.

What kind of questions? (oh.. and the doors are a real pain to get COMPLETELY closed sometimes)

That response pretty much covers it there. I know that some people will buy and use a high performance/complex aircraft but that their training time may be increased.

Quite a few places use the Cirrus SR20, such as Western Michigan, Delta Connection, and Airquest Aviation. Now as for the SR22 as a primary trainer, not likely but still possible I guess, FIT has one in their fleet as do a few other places for more advanced training. I was told Western Michigan used theirs exclusively as a cross country airplane to cut down time.

I go to Western Michigan University. I forget the exact number right now as we've been thinning the fleet in anticipation of the new G3's, but at this time last year we had something like 32 sr-20's; and two sr-22's. The 22's were only allowed for post-private lessons (mainly com. and instrument x-countries), and were only allowed for dual flights. Although I got lucky and did much of my instrument in the 22 :)

So i guess the airframe could be used in the 20 configuration with an upgrade to the 22 in the future for a primary student. Of course if you learn to stay ahead of the airplane and your taught that way from day one then moving into or starting in a faster airplane should not be a problem.

I would not try teaching in a complex aircraft but as the cirrus has the single power lever and mixture only then it should not be a problem. What considerations for power management are there in the 22?

screw you guys :dunno:

I'm just going off of what was told to me. There were cracked cylinders.

They used SR-20's at the FBO I used to work at. Of course they were a Cirrus dealer also. I know of at least one person while I was there who bought a G3 SR-22T for his primary training.

There was an "discussion", for lack of a better term, in another post, in another time, far, far, away, and all that jazz.

From what I understood the aircraft power control is designed to prevent operating "over square". Or have I misunderstood the design or how it operates. And I don't want to go on about shock cooling either. Maybe the cracked cylinders should attributed to over pressure from the turbo. I mean you are shoving in more air than would be if normally aspirated.

I digress....and I know...I shouldn't have done it.

The original question or another question still exists. If training is begun in a SR 22 and that is all that is known through training, regardless of the fact that it is not a traditional training aircraft, would the student not learn to adapt to this. It is said that most workers operate better when under pressure and stressed. We have all been there during instrument training and transition to, for example, multi engine instrument or vacuum failure during ILS or LOC approach in a single engine aircraft.

Just a thought. If you lift weights at the gym you start at some given point. Depending on your starting point and how you train determines your results.

Alrighty folks, don't get yourself coiled up in a 'gnash cluster' over shock cooling.

UND no longer operates any Cirrus aircraft.

They say that for every hour it spends in the air, it spends 1 hour in the mx hanger.

That's about right. They are really easy to abuse if you don't watch it. We had seats constantly go bad as people would stand on them getting in. Doors not closing, brakes worn out, and my favorite, the dashboard being loose. I had one that the glareshield fell into my lap on preflight. It had been getting loose for a while and went into MX. I guess it wasn't quite ready for flight...

I'm pretty sure there is an FBO out of HPN that does primary stuff in -22's. The money is there so they can charge 20k for the licensce but I don't know of many other's using the -22 for primary. I'm not going to get into it again but unless you do a Vx Climb at Rich of Peak into a spin you are not going to shock cool these engines.

The original question or another question still exists. If training is begun in a SR 22 and that is all that is known through training, regardless of the fact that it is not a traditional training aircraft, would the student not learn to adapt to this.

Yes. You do adapt or you do not progress. The military has proven the ab initio concept for decades. How else can you take someone with NO experience, fly for maybe 30hrs in a hopped up -172, put them in a jet (T-37) and in less than six months have them flying a supersonic machine that flies final at 155kts +fuel?

The SR-22 could be used as a trainer and obviously some do use it for such. It just requires a different student and a different focus.

That's about right. They are really easy to abuse if you don't watch it. We had seats constantly go bad as people would stand on them getting in. Doors not closing, brakes worn out, and my favorite, the dashboard being loose. I had one that the glareshield fell into my lap on preflight. It had been getting loose for a while and went into MX. I guess it wasn't quite ready for flight...

We've had those issues (breaks, seats, etc) but Western warns the students heavily about them and they disappeared for the most part.

Back