Cirrus Jet Caps Deployment 9/9/2022 N77VJ

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
1662770044449.jpeg

Date:09-SEP-2022
Time:c. 15:02 LT
Type:
Silhouette image of generic SF50 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet
Owner/operator:TAC9 Inc
MSN:0088
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Category:Accident
Location:near Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM/KISM), Orlando, FL -
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Approach
Nature:Private
Departure airport:Miami-Opa locka Executive Airport, FL (OPF/KOPF)
Destination airport:Kissimmee Gateway Airport, FL (ISM/KISM)
Investigating agency:NTSB
Confidence Rating:
CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Narrative:
A Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet, N77VJ, sustained substantial damage following a CAPS deployment and subsequent impact with wooded/marshy terrain while on the RNAV 33 approach at Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM/KISM), Orlando, FL
One occupant was seriously injured, and two of the three occupants received minor injuries.

Weather is a possible factor.

Weather: 091903Z (15:03 LT) 25023G28KT 1 3/4SM +TRSA Mist WSHFT LTG N and SW

Last edited:
He flew into a thunderstorm and pulled the chute? Oof.

View attachment 66831
Right? Not gonna lie, I’m amazed by how folks decide that thunderstorms get less scary the closer they are to an airport. I landed about as close as I’m willing to come to a nasty cell and told tower that if we had to go around for any reason it would be an immediate turnout. About 5 minutes later I poked my head out of the hangar and watched two CRJs land while hanging on to the door, getting soaked, and listening to storm sirens go off. I don’t get paid enough to do that.

Right? Not gonna lie, I’m amazed by how folks decide that thunderstorms get less scary the closer they are to an airport. I landed about as close as I’m willing to come to a nasty cell and told tower that if we had to go around for any reason it would be an immediate turnout. About 5 minutes later I poked my head out of the hangar and watched two CRJs land while hanging on to the door, getting soaked, and listening to storm sirens go off. I don’t get paid enough to do that.

Fifteen minutes later, all is well and folks are reaching for sunscreen. I’m willing to trade fuel for drama.

Last edited:
Flightaware weather can be a little dramatic sometimes. It looks like a thunderstorm on there, but it could be a light rain shower in all actuality.

While I agree, in this case it was pretty bad. We were under severe thunderstorm warnings at this time and the the clouds were almost black by 3pm. I was on the highway a few miles east of here around this time going about 10 mph because visibility was only a few hundred feet in very heavy rain.

But like said above, about 1 hour after it passed the weather was fine. It was still overcast and rainy for the rest of the evening but it was MVFR at its worst. Why wouldn’t you just divert somewhere further East and just wait out.

Why divert, fill out paperwork, when you can just fly right into it, pull the chute...

...and fill out paperwork?

flightaware radar almost never aligns with a flight track properly unless you're looking at a live track, even then it can still lag
can't say how many times it looked like I flew straight through a thunderstorm both GA and at work when you were miles away from it

I have a screenshot of my self flying through red and yellow the other night on landing per FlightAware.

Actually just light rain and nothing on the onboard. The actual TS was 10-15 miles away in other directions.

So don’t believe what you see online.

Let’s see if the single engine was running, otherwise this is just another cirrus owner freaking out about nothing.

flightaware radar almost never aligns with a flight track properly unless you're looking at a live track, even then it can still lag
can't say how many times it looked like I flew straight through a thunderstorm both GA and at work when you were miles away from it
I have a screenshot of my self flying through red and yellow the other night on landing per FlightAware.

Actually just light rain and nothing on the onboard. The actual TS was 10-15 miles away in other directions.

Let’s see if the single engine was running, otherwise this is just another cirrus owner freaking out about nothing.
The radar is one thing. The data track is something else

Looks like a crazy updraft of some sort. I'm still guessing convective.

Screenshot_20220910-134411.png

Hey, we wouldn’t have a national doctor shortage if Bonanzas had chutes.

I'm not. Most folks lack adequate perspective - situational, temporal, strategic, positional, etc. Most bad decisions -from which way to fake the defender while going for the bucket to not caring about burning off the atmosphere- ultimately resolve to lack of proper perspective.

What you're talking about is the Q-proximate version of "get homitis". How is that shocking except in the Casablanca fashion?

The radar is one thing. The data track is something else

Looks like a crazy updraft of some sort. I'm still guessing convective.

View attachment 66840

No, that’s the CAPS deployment. The aircraft automatically pitches up to position itself for a best outcome parachute deployment. Notice the ground speed after the climb. That is after deployment.

Back