Cirrus down in Georgia…

FlyingAccountant

SR22 down in Jesup, Georgia today, pilot died along with his dog. The pilot was a guy named Howard Wasdin who was a semi famous former Navy SEAL who wrote a book before it was cool to write books. Also was a member of SEAL Team 6.

METAR looks clear at the time and he was 1/4 mile from the airport. Evidently didn’t have time to pull the chute. Another Cirrus getting slow in the pattern again, perhaps? Flightaware data seems to stop before the descent so that’s conjecture on my part.

"he was a highly decorated Navy SEAL who had been involved in the 1993 Somalia operation dramatized in the movie Black Hawk Down."

That hurts to loose such a guy.. :(

"he was a highly decorated Navy SEAL who had been involved in the 1993 Somalia operation dramatized in the movie Black Hawk Down."

That hurts to loose such a guy.. :(

IIRC, he got pretty messed up during BHD(Gothic Serpent) too. Ended up getting shot a few times, one of which demolished his leg. He spent some time in the hospital in Germany before coming back to the states. The damage he sustained ultimately ended his SEAL career.

SR22 down in Jesup, Georgia today, pilot died along with his dog. The pilot was a guy named Howard Wasdin who was a semi famous former Navy SEAL who wrote a book before it was cool to write books. Also was a member of SEAL Team 6.

METAR looks clear at the time and he was 1/4 mile from the airport. Evidently didn’t have time to pull the chute. Another Cirrus getting slow in the pattern again, perhaps? Flightaware data seems to stop before the descent so that’s conjecture on my part.
RIP.

Prophylactic caveat regarding the loss of human life: I truly hate to see someone die unnecessarily.

And... it's never necessary to operate a Cirrus.

RIP.

Prophylactic caveat regarding the loss of human life: I truly hate to see someone die unnecessarily.

And... it's never necessary to operate a Cirrus.

Metaphorically speaking, I bet he FLEW it all the way to the ground.

RIP.

Anyone else read this as “A Cirrus went down to Georgia, looking for a soul to steal…”?
Not entirely sure, but the evidence seems to indicate that Cirrus buyers have no souls to snitch.

Also, word on the street is the new Cirrus model is going to be called the Lethe.

Last edited:
The preliminary report is out; 300 & 1/4SM and ground track doesn’t match the published IAP.

Sure sounds like scud running.

Back