Circle to Land 1R SFO compilation

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Finally got around to throwing the clips together I took on 12/30/14 when SFO landed on the 01s all day. I mostly took photos(over 1,000!), but in this video I only included the pics of planes included in the video clips for the most part. Later on, I will do a second video which will be a photo slideshow from 2007-2014 of this approach. I got amazing shots that day, but at the time I had no image stabilization, a very heavy camera(I drop it all the time so I made sure the get the beefiest SLR Canon had), and...sustained winds close to 50MPH...so...it's shaky. But this is very rare footage of an awesome visual approach, I hope you guys enjoy it and that all you SFO guys get to do it at least once.

Most of the footage was taken from my parent's house, my old highschool, and the park I play basketball at. Needless to say, the few times I was in class and planes started landing over the campus, I was off to the Millbrae BART garage to gladly take my detention.

Very cool. Like the JustPlanes videos I would watch as a kid... just way better.

You ever in your life, see any rwy 19 takeoff's?
Yeah man, it isn't common but no where near as rare as landing 10s or 01s. Pedro actually came up for a tour with his son while they were departing 19s. Departing 19s happens 10-20 times per year usually, but like landing the 01s, it is usually only done for a few hours or so when the winds are peaking. Sometimes, however, it is done for most of the day and can be really fun to watch. Usually, the heavies all elect to go off the 10s, but when it gets real bad, you'll see the 747s launch off the 19s which is very impressive. I have good video of a Korean 748 doing it, but I'm not uploading any of my work videos until I move on someday.

Yeah man, it isn't common but no where near as rare as landing 10s or 01s. Pedro actually came up for a tour with his son while they were departing 19s. Departing 19s happens 10-20 times per year usually, but like landing the 01s, it is usually only done for a few hours or so when the winds are peaking. Sometimes, however, it is done for most of the day and can be really fun to watch. Usually, the heavies all elect to go off the 10s, but when it gets real bad, you'll see the 747s launch off the 19s which is very impressive. I have good video of a Korean 748 doing it, but I'm not uploading any of my work videos until I move on someday.

Do the 01's have an ILS attached, for when the weather goes to sh*t when they're landing that direction?

Oh man, I'd love to see a 748, departing on the 19's?

Do the 01's have an ILS attached, for when the weather goes to sh*t when they're landing that direction?
Nah, nothing but strobes at the touchdown zone for guidance. It is a strictly visual approach, fly the ILS 28R or 28L and break off at 2.5 DME or something like that for the circling approach. As long as I've been alive, if the winds are pushing 40 knots from the North(winds here are rare from the North period, let alone howling), there is never a cloud in the sky. Usually it is severe clear when this happens, I don't think I've ever even seen it partly cloudy when they are landing on the 01s. But it does happen at night, lots of low altitude alerts when it does.

We usually have very gentle surf in the Bay, the biggest indication looking down on SFO from the hills that landings might start on the 01s are the big waves that start to fill the bay. Seems much more visible when the winds are from the North.

One thing is for sure though, not a lot of places in the world where you can get footage of planes cranking and banking low over $2 million homes, haha. Imagine if they did this for a week straight, the SFO Noise Complaint office would just explode. Apparently, people actually call 911 every time this happens.

No way to use a tripod here ameigo, too much moving around on different terrain to keep from houses/trees getting in the shot and stuff. Monopod maybe, but not a tripod. I found some interesting places to set up for photos that day...lol...

Last edited:
That is simply the greatest thing I've ever seen on the internet.
LOL! See, I should do more random Flightsim reviews. Be the "Mr. Regular" for Flightsim...if I can get enough hits to monotize just 1 video, I can write off flightsim add-ons as a business expense. That would be the dream.

Back