Chinese put a man in space

davetheflyer

GOBI DESERT, China - China launched its first manned space mission on Wednesday, sending an astronaut hurtling toward orbit and becoming the third country in history to do so on its own — four decades after the Soviet Union and the United States.
The smoky tracer was visible against a bright, azure northwest China sky. The official Xinhua News Agency immediately confirmed the launch and said the astronaut was Yang Liwei, 38.

"China's first manned spacecraft, the Shenzhou 5, blasted off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in the northwestern province of Gansu at 9 a.m. Wednesday (9 p.m. EDT)," Xinhua said. State television cut into its programming to announce the launch.

It was the culmination of a decade of efforts by China's military-linked manned space program — and a patriotism-drenched moment for a communist government more concerned than ever about its profile on the world stage.

Security was tight around the remote Gobi Desert base, some 175 miles northeast of Jiuquan.

On Wednesday morning, the only road to the launch site was crowded with traffic, including military vehicles and civilian tour buses. But private cars were turned back and phone calls to the base were blocked.

China kept details of the event secret, saying in advance only that the launch would take place between Wednesday and Friday and that the astronaut would orbit the Earth 14 times. Yang was identified as a lieutenant colonel.

The Shenzhou 5 launch came after four test launches of unmanned capsules that orbited the Earth for nearly a week before parachuting back to China's northern grasslands. State media say the manned flight is expected to last about 20 hours.

No footage of the launch was immediately shown.

"The launch of Shenzhou 5 is long-awaited by the Chinese people," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue said Tuesday. She said the flight was a key step in the "peaceful development of space" — a reflection of China's effort to reassure the world that its military-linked program is benign.

The Shenzhou, or "Divine Vessel," is based on the three-seat Russian Soyuz capsule, though with extensive modifications. China also paid Moscow to train at least two astronauts.

But Beijing insists everything sent into space will be developed and made in China. State media, trying to dispel suggestions that its triumph depends on foreign know-how, refer to Shenzhou as "China's self-designed manned spaceship."

© 2003 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Editor's note:

Now that another big communist country is in space maybe it'll allow us to kick NASA back into high gear.
smirk.gif

Well, Congrats and Godspeed to Yang Liwei and the Chinese people. Welcome to the borderless beyond!

Paul

[ QUOTE ]
Now that another big communist country is in space maybe it'll allow us to kick NASA back into high gear.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But what would our goal be? We already put a man on the moon, and we've got the space station up there for more research. I don't know what our next big step up in space would be.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But what would our goal be? We already put a man on the moon, and we've got the space station up there for more research. I don't know what our next big step up in space would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exploring far beyond Pluto.

[ QUOTE ]
Exploring far beyond Pluto.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would be a worthy goal. There would be a tremendous time lag between getting the mission off and getting any results, though, since it would take years for anything to just exit the solar system.

One thing I'd like to see is some new propulsion systems designed to enable us to do that. The basic propulsion system for spacecraft hasn't changed all that much since the Mercury days -- you light a big Roman candle and it gets the spacecraft going. It works, but it's highly inefficient and very expensive.

So is there another way to do that? I don't know, but someone smarter than me probably can come up with a solution.

Landing Mars.

Putting a permanent building/station/"colony" on the Moon.

Building the DeathStar(tm).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm....

exploring where no man has explored before

sheesh - they should turn that into a "no man and/or woman and/or pigs for that matter" phrase now that "pigs in space" debuted and a woman can be the commanding officer of the enterprise! hahahhaaha
grin.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I think the next big goal is to go the speed of light. Once you have done that then you can plan manned missions to other planets and beyond. Going faster then the speed of light, will probably need a whole different type of engine, which I am sure Mike will tell us about when he gets in the inner realm of top secret military stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
But what would our goal be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the Death Star, that pesky Rebel Alliance would just blow it up. We should look for ....

THE PLANET OF THE APES.

"A planet where apes evolved from men."

[ QUOTE ]
"A planet where apes evolved from men."

[/ QUOTE ]

We know exaclty where it is ...

Ins't it New Jersey? Or is it Texas? I can never remember!
grin.gif

We should really be looking for the Master Sword ... to become Masters of the Universe and be able to yell "I have the POWER!"
smirk.gif

Back