Chinese land on the moon

Glad they are wasting money flexing

Who do I talk to about the pee-pee in my Coke?
Well assuming they didn't copy everything to get there (I'd bet $100 they did), the innovation required to pull off such a feat pays off $1000 on the penny and, if they had actually innovated anything rather than copying the Soviets and us, would help give them a significant economic boost.

How do you reckon? I can't see anything terribly useful coming from outside the atmosphere until we cut the cost of getting up there in the first place by many orders of magnitude, if indeed we ever do.
My family's smallest excavator weighed 77K lbs. Currently, it is a challeng
feat pays off $1000 on the penny
That might have been the case 40 years ago when major advances in dozens of areas were required to achieve spaceflight milestones.

Today, that's hardly the case.

How do you reckon? I can't see anything terribly useful coming from outside the atmosphere until we cut the cost of getting up there in the first place by many orders of magnitude, if indeed we ever do.
You may not cut the costs, fortunately the wealth estimated up there exceeds that cost. I'd have to check the show notes, but offthe top of my head Science Friday hadsome sort of Jade Rabbit episode last week discussing Chinas aspirations.

Spaces model going forward has a lot more in common with building rail in the western States in the mid 1800s than ever before. Itll get tapped in our lifetime... well , my lifetime anyway. Stop smoking and drinking Boris.

There is also a whopping good listenon sci fri last week about health care again.

Well assuming they didn't copy everything to get there (I'd bet $100 they did), the innovation required to pull off such a feat pays off $1000 on the penny and, if they had actually innovated anything rather than copying the Soviets and us, would help give them a significant economic boost.
Space for the US has averaged a 10 to 1 return on investment. Some guys on freakonomics podcast said if you wanted to pay off the debt or cut the deficit you would have to invest in things like space. Its a narrative I enjoy.

I agree but we put people on the moon after 1969. People just stopped giving a crap and became self absorbed with the 1970s and beyond. Space exploration to the laymen, became boring and routine. We have done a ton of really cool things since, most folks just lost interest when they realized there was never going to be a Millennium Falcon or a Colonial Viper in their lifetime.
Although you can ride on a 737-800 with the same tail number. "Nebula, three seven four two, Constellation."

It'll be very, very difficult to reduce that initial cost, as there's no such thing as a free launch. :D

My family's smallest excavator weighed 77K lbs. Currently, it is a challeng

That might have been the case 40 years ago when major advances in dozens of areas were required to achieve spaceflight milestones.

Today, that's hardly the case.
It's absolutely still the case. Nasa has been for it's entire existance the greatest economic powerhouse this country has ever seen.
Dollar for dollar nothing else has ever produced the same roi.

Factually, youll find the opposite.
Please explain.
Specifically, what realms of science or engineering has been pioneered or advanced in this Chinese effort? It's a milestone, but is it a milestone that reaches beyond the ability to launch payload into space or increase military capabilities? I see this as a success in systems integration, not any real advance in basic or applied research.

Even in the case of the U.S. space program, the benefits to society started to dwindle early in the Apollo program.

It's absolutely still the case. Nasa has been for it's entire existance the greatest economic powerhouse this country has ever seen.
Dollar for dollar nothing else has ever produced the same roi.

Absolutely wrong. By the 80's, NASA became a money pit with questionable benefits. The scientists were the biggest critics, complaining that manned flight programs like the shuttle were sucking money away from basic research. By the 80's the civilian and aerospace industries did not need NASA to jump-start innovation. In fact, the opposite happened. NASA, to a great extent, was privatized.

http://www.technologyreview.com/article/424586/was-the-space-shuttle-a-mistake/

Absolutely wrong. By the 80's, NASA became a money pit with questionable benefits. The scientists were the biggest critics, complaining that manned flight programs like the shuttle were sucking money away from basic research. By the 80's the civilian and aerospace industries did not need NASA to jump-start innovation. In fact, the opposite happened. NASA, to a great extent, was privatized.

http://www.technologyreview.com/article/424586/was-the-space-shuttle-a-mistake/
Money pits with questionable benefits also include many defense projects and the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

Money pits with questionable benefits also include many defense projects and the Troubled Asset Relief Program.
Agreed. We have no shortage of money pits.

I'm just attempting to make a distinction between the NASA of the 60's and the NASA of the 80's and beyond. Things did change.

Agreed. We have no shortage of money pits.

I'm just attempting to make a distinction between the NASA of the 60's and the NASA of the 80's and beyond. Things did change.
I'd still rather give a bunch of geeks the money than the banksters or the "killing people" side of Northrop, Lockheed, Boeing etc.

(yes, I know the whole point of our space program was really ICBM development.)

meanwhile-in-china_o_418760.jpg

That kid has a job and is doing it.

Do you think the average 20 year old in the US is going to do that? Nah, unemployment probably pays more and I don't feel well today so I'll hop online after my nap to look for jobs to apply to.

Couple that work ethic, as seen above, with a STEM education and watch out.

I don't think that's true at all. Look at Cirrus, Robinson Helicopters, Google, Apple, countless small businesses, and this very forum.

It's more that our imagination and creativity isn't being focused on large national problems like ensuring freedom from the world amid an axis of totalitarianism, preventing the spread of communism, or getting a man on the moon by the end of 1969.
Except that the parent company of Cirrus was purchased by China Aviation Industry General Aircraft Co., Ltd. two years ago for over 200 million and they are the ones currently financing and pouring the cash into Cirrus for the development and manufacturing of new planes. And Apple? Most of their products are assembled in China. Robinson laid off over 500 workers a couple of years ago and only produced like 16% of the choppers that it had in previous years. Remember what they went through back in the 90's with the FAA and safety concerns and what they had to pay out in liability? To this date, they have been unable to secure any military contracts. The last two years their sales have been growing again and I do wish them well, though and hopefully their market will expand. Google just opened two data centers in Taiwan and Singapore. Amazon, Apple and Microsoft are following suit. And where are the HP Google Chromebooks made? In China. And where are the Acer Google Chromebooks made? China. To add more irony, Baidu- a huge Chinese search entity just unveiled it's own version of Chromecast and it's cheaper than the Google version. They are going to be pairing them with their smart tvs also.

Last edited:
Back