Chicago

SJFLYER

I am planing a X-country to chicago and I am looking for an airport recomedation and local guauge. Preferably an airport with low or no landing fees and close to the city.

thank,

ORL

[ QUOTE ]
I am planing a X-country to chicago and I am looking for an airport recomedation and local guauge. Preferably an airport with low or no landing fees and close to the city.

thank,

ORL

[/ QUOTE ]

You can canx Meigs off the list.

Go to Midway and use Million Air. Landing fee was something around $7.00 when I went back in June that's about as close to the city you can get. Overnight waved with fuel purchase. I'd look into catching a taxi to the terminal and take the train into the city. Traffic + Cab Fares are worse than the landing fees.

PWK would be fairly close, but avoid signature.
06C is a nw suburb and about 30 minutes to the city

Check on airnav.com for fbos

Definitely MDW. $7.50 landing fee. Go to Milion Air or Atlantic, and just walk yourself the couple blocks down 63rd street and then down Cicero to the train station at the terminal. It will take you straight into the middle of downtown in about 30 minutes. The Orange Line.

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely MDW. $7.50 landing fee. Go to Milion Air or Atlantic, and just walk yourself the couple blocks down 63rd street and then down Cicero to the train station at the terminal. It will take you straight into the middle of downtown in about 30 minutes. The Orange Line.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that matter, have Atlantic or Millionaire give you a ride down there! Fuel is not exactly "cheap" anywhere at Midway so you might want to make a stop somewhere outside the city so you're not filling up at $3.50 a gallon. I usually go to Joliet (JOT). I think that it's been around $2.30 for 100LL. Check airnav.com

Dave

Easiest way to get from midway to downtown has got to be the trains. If you follow the signs (it is a bit of a long walk) You can buy a little plastic card and put money on it. I used it for all my travel while in Chicago. Spent like 7.00 charging it. The public transit is well worth using there. Chicago Transit Authority

They can also help you with trip planning. If you want to use cabs to get everywhere you are gonna go broke.

SJFlyer, I'd have to agree on MDW. For training you can't beat PWK, DPA, or 06C (Palwaukee, DuPage, or Shaumburg-each one is at least 45min drive from downtown with no accessible train) For a great experience, Midway will be pretty fun. If you're lucky you might get to land in front of a SWA or ATA 737 full of folks wating FOR YOU to land in our bugsmasher. That fee ain't bad, Meigs used to be something like $50.

One of the FBO's should give you a ride to the Orange Line, or depending on where you stay (if you are staying overnight) you might be able to get an airport shuttle to a hotel downtown.

Feel free to PM me if you are looking for restaurant recc's-- give me a price range and an ethnicity and I'll give you a list of good places.

Have fun!

Uh, Million-Air Midway seems to be hitting people up for a $38.50 "security fee" lately...I'd call before you go. And again, I would suggest GYY.

What a sweet ass city. Not sure of flying but bars and things like that are very quality. Have fun. Be prepared to spend some change. Look for Ladies.

Schaumburg-06C- has a train station about 1 minute from the airport. It will take you right to union station in about 30 minutes. MDW is fine, I just wouldn't stop or ride public transportation in that area.

The area around MDW is perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've walked around there at 2:00 AM before.

I saw a real hooker for the first time on Cicero near MDW! The area is fine, but stay aware of your surroundings.

Well, I like KPWK myself and work at North American Jet there. Currently, 100LL is 2.95/gallon and the ramp fee for single piston planes is $15, waived with a minimum gas purchase which is $50 i believe. Overnight I can't remember but I'm working tomorrow morning so I can get you the outside overnight fee as well as a hanger overnight fee if you'd like. I believe it's 20 and 40 respectively. (also, on the weekends, the 100LL is discounted 30 cents.) No landing fees for the airport either. We should be able to provide a ride to area hotels if needed and we also have a Hertz Rental onsite. If you do decide to fly into PWK and NA Jet, let me know when you'll be here and I'll tell you if i'm on the schedule that day.

http://www.northamerican-jet.com

Also, check out this site for airport info and comments about each FBO on the field by actual users. You could learn a lot on this site regarding real-world experiences with service at each FBO:
http://www.airnav.com/airport

Back