Checkride Failure Questions

I just got hired at a regional with 2 pink slips. just be honest about them.

I learned more from my one bust than from any of the rides I breezed through.

I have no problem with checkride busts being looked at, but CFI initial busts should be taken with a grain of salt...

I think your best bet is to take ownership......
Trust me I have. I want to be the best pilot I can be and when people say just that, it confirms I'm accomplishing my aspiration. I guess I rationalizing things (makes me feel better if nothing else) is a step in my process of acceptance. To be honest, I was OK with the busted PPL oral until I busted my multi-addon after treating it as a formality. Learned from that mindset for sure!

You're only screwed if you go into an interview and try to say it wasn't your fault you busted X.
Never planned on it. I will explain the situation(s) and take full responsibility. This post is more geared toward "getting" called for an interview. Like I said, the second question on one 121's app is: Number of checkride busts (first question is your name). Nice foot to start off on :rolleyes:

I busted three. Granted only 1 of them was on my pilot certificate (busted CFI-A and CFI-ME, and CPL-ME.) The last was embarassing because he busted me because I didn't have my sectional out (I knew the "flight plan" by heart by that point.) I busted the single engine CFI because at the time (and still currently to an extent) I am really crappy on eights on pylons, and it just wasn't my day on the multiengine CFI.

With all that said, I worked at the regional airlines. I got furloughed and did other work including flying freight as a UPS package feeder, and now doing the same thing for Fedex. What is interesting though is in the 5 interviews I have had with air carriers the only ones who even asked me about primary checkride failures were the regional airlines. However, they all asked if I ever busted any part 121 or 135 checkrides (which I haven't.)

I don't think you'll have a problem if you want to work for a regional airline based solely on two primary checkride failures, and if you do you probably wouldn't work at that particular airline anyway if they are unable to evaluate a candidate on anything but that. Even if on the odd chance that they decide to shun you (they won't), understand that they are the only ones who really care about primary checkride failures... pretty much due to 3407... when in fact it was part 121 checkride busts that were more compelling rather than the total number of failures.

Lets be honest if your goal is the airlines 2 checkride bust is not going to stop you from getting hired. How you react and explain those bust will be a way larger determining factor in an interview or when asked. Its all about mitigating liability for aircarriers. In the end, if something goes awry and they have to explain your background to the press is it going to look bad or is it explainable? Forget about the bust and just keep chugging along. Someone is going to hire you. It's the regionals, not NASA...

FYI, I had my DPE get checked during my Comm oral. Longest and most thorough oral I ever had even to this date. But was fun watching the DPE get checked. I passed.

Back