Checkride Failure Questions

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this for the past few months and it is finally getting to me.

I have two checkride failures (1 oral and 1 practical) along with a busted written. Let me explain them below and tell me if I'm screwed getting any good flying anytime soon.

ORAL
It was a PPL checkride and I was so rushed that day it wasn't funny. I had been bounced around to about 6 CFIs during my training and even though all of them said "you fly amazing," I was still nervous. What do I find when I arrive? The head of the FSDO; he will be doing a check on my DPE. Now I had heard a ton of rumors about this man and there he was sitting along for my the ride; only after I busted was I told I could of asked for him not to be present.

Everyone says "I know my blank" but I know it my way and I find it really hard getting it out of my mouth. This is why I'm not a CFI (personal decision with a lot of consultation). So I was stumbling along in the oral, nervous as hell, and was doing pretty good. We got to class E/G airspace and I completely messed it up, my weak point as it was since all my flight training had been out of a class D airport that abuts class B. No excuse I guess. Over the past few years I've talked with others and we all agree that this wouldn't have been an oral bust if the FSDO wasn't there. However it was and I elected to continue and did good on the rest of it.

Came back two days later for like 5 minutes of oral and then went and nailed the flight. DPE complemented me on it as well which gets the peacock feathers up :laff:

WRITTEN
I was extremely interested in IFR stuff, did a lot of it on my own and got the rating in about two months. I had passed the ground school written with like an 89%. Then I let it lapse before I took the actual written. Took it on a spur of the moment and got an 68-69%. Took if later, passed and even got a comment from another DPE after my IR oral about it. He couldn't believe it after the ORAL we'd just had, he said.

PRACTICAL
Nailed the IR, DXR, Comm ASEL, and was treating my multi add-on just as a formality (had 30+ hours at the time of the ride). Yet I was still nervous but still was able to bust out a really nice oral/flight (according to the DPE). We were literally on the last thing, within about two minutes from being done, and I accidentally put an opposite yaw moment the the same moment he failed the engine for the third time on the ride (SE-IFR approach) which masked the failed engine. You can see what happens next......

Just a simple mistake (that I had never made to that point nor will make damn sure to never do again) but it put him in a position with no choice. He wouldn't even pass me with a VFR limitation since the IFR part wasn't the issue, he said. What made it worse was that he complimented me on a great flight all the way back and in the de-brief as well :drool:

Came back a few days later and literally did 0.1 on the hobbs (0.5 total including the run-up and flying to the IAF).

So now that you have a back ground, how bad am I messed up?

Please know that I'm not trying to "boast" about my flying. Just saying what people have said about my skills when compared to seeing two failures (sometimes three depending on if they count written tests).

Thanks in advance!

So is the point of this thread to let us know you busted some checkrides that you didn't feel you should have busted?

So is the point of this thread to let us know you busted some checkrides that you didn't feel you should have busted?

I expected this type of tool I'm better than you type reply on JC when I read this post earlier, so predictable. I guess you missed the question in bold 4 lines up from the bottom. :rollseyes:

I'll answer since nobody else is willing to make a productive response. The airlines want you to admit you messed up and want to know what you learned from it even if you got shafted and you have a legitimate excuse, don't mention it. It's really about supply and demand. If there are 5000 apps on file for a regional airline, they will probably go with the clean record guy first but that is defiantly not the case now. You should be alright at this time as long as you don't bust anymore.

I expected this type of tool I'm better than you type reply on JC when I read this post earlier, so predictable. I guess you missed the question in bold 4 lines up from the bottom. :rollseyes:

I never asked about what the question was. I asked about what the point of the thread is. I in no way think I am better then anyone else. Calling someone you don't know a Tool might not get you very far in this industry. I could be your boss someday. :doublehandclap:

I never asked about what the question was. I asked about what the point of the thread is. I in no way think I am better then anyone else. Calling someone you don't know a Tool might not get you very far in this industry. I could be your boss someday. :doublehandclap:

Did you honestly not know that the point of the post is to answer the question about where he stands after failing a couple rides? I have a hard time believing you are that oblivious and yes you are a tool if your intentions were to insult him by asking your question. There is actually a better chance of me being your boss someday than vice versa so quit hating around the forums trying to build yourself up.

To the OP: I don't think you're messed up. Based on your description, you're a capable pilot who made some mistakes and learned from them. Three checkride failures could make it difficult to earn employment in certain sectors of the industry. However, I don't think they'll keep you from having a successful career.

Did you honestly not know that the point of the post is to answer the question about where he stands after failing a couple rides? I have a hard time believing you are that oblivious and yes you are a tool if your intentions were to insult him by asking your question. There is actually a better chance of me being your boss someday than vice versa so quit hating around the forums trying to build yourself up.

Ha. My crystal ball is showing someone very insecure, someone who needs a sense of belonging, and someone who has a need to show power over others ONLY when sitting behind a computer screen. I dont "Troll" the forums like you do looking to start fights with people and insult them.

Ha. My crystal ball is showing someone very insecure, someone who needs a sense of belonging, and someone who has a need to show power over others ONLY when sitting behind a computer screen. I dont "Troll" the forums like you do looking to start fights with people and insult them.

To answer 767's question though. I'm sorry if I came off like I was insulting you. I was just trying to figure out what you were getting at by mitigating your checkride failures. If your looking for an airline career, checkride failures can be a disqualification depending on how many you get so try to avoid any more. If your just looking to fly in general as a hobby or maybe charter etc... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not even going to address and counter your personal attacks. The JC troll was an inside joke (changed it for you guys), a troll instigates without any support to back up the argument. I defiantly instigate but only with due cause and relevance. It just bothers me seeing people take the time to post something negative against somebody to build themselves up when they could have used that effort to make a legitimate and helpful reply.

To the OP: I don't think you're messed up. Based on your description, you're a capable pilot who made some mistakes and learned from them. Three checkride failures could make it difficult to earn employment in certain sectors of the industry. However, I don't think they'll keep you from having a successful career.
I guess I'm just a perfectionist and am having a hard time with my two failures. Minor, simple mistakes (reason I was "mitigating" them) but I got to address them. Thanks to all for the insightful replys.

Follow up question, based all the 121s currently hiring; which should I not even bother with b/c of the busts? I know AE use to have issues with busted rides but I know a CFI who got on there and he had like two I think.

Thanks!

I guess I'm just a perfectionist and am having a hard time with my two failures. Minor, simple mistakes (reason I was "mitigating" them) but I got to address them. Thanks to all for the insightful replys.

Follow up question, based all the 121s currently hiring; which should I not even bother with b/c of the busts? I know AE use to have issues with busted rides but I know a CFI who got on there and he had like two I think.

Thanks!

Don't write anything off. Apply everywhere and you might be surprised.

To the OP: Your decision to not be a CFI because of whatever reason will hurt you. While I agree that not EVERYONE makes a good CFI, the skills and experience you get from it would serve anyone well. You'll have a harder time finding a job as a timebuilder without going the CFI route. But...and in spite of your worries about your performance thus far....I think you can make it and find something in the career if you stick with it. Lastly, do I want to fly with someone who has a "hard time getting the words out"? There are many obstacles to a career in aviation. You have encountered some so far. Sometimes it's best to bust through them, overcome them, and persevere. It builds character and confidence and helps you get through the rough times.

To Troy and AeroT. This is not APC and a good number of us come here for that. It would be great if you could take your witty banter to PM's and not ruin a perfectly good thread.

Lastly, do I want to fly with someone who has a "hard time getting the words out"?
It is not so much that. Its more that I know my stuff my way and really have a hard time teaching people what "I know, the way I know it" and they way I know it is my only way. :D

I ask about the current 121s because one of the regionals I looked into have a checkride failure question as the second question on the application (and they included writtens for whatever reason).

I got a 135 ME SIC gig coming up, hopefully a crap ton of multi/135 time will offset those two failures. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks!

"I got a 135 ME SIC gig coming up, hopefully a crap ton of multi/135 time will offset those two failures. Is that a reasonable assumption?"

Yeah, I think so. Even more so with successful upgrade into the left seat.

I don't think youre screwed, per say. But, the impression I got from your write up is a personal trend utilizing defense mechanisms to disguise skill set weaknesses. What I am saying is that you're probably a good pilot, and you probably have a real good career in front of you - just take note that no matter what, there was only one reason you failed each of these things. It wasn't because a FSDO DPE was there, it wasn't because someone forced you to take the written that day, and it wasn't because someone else was flying the plane when an engine failed...

I think your best bet is to take ownership of your actions and not worry about who's going to be hiring when you're going to be applying for a job. I'd rather see an applicant with a bust or two who has taken the time to become a better pilot because of it than a perfect candidate who cannot take responsibility for his/her actions.

Good luck to you. you'll be fine.

Back