Check Airman question...

C150J

Do you guys log Line Observations/Line Checks? Might be a totally ridiculous question, I know.

maybe flight instructor time but no total, dunno just out in left field here.

Thanks ---

I'm assuming a lot of guys do it for pay-tracking purposes, then. That's the only reason I can think of why you'd want the time for those flights.

J.

Thanks ---

I'm assuming a lot of guys do it for pay-tracking purposes, then. That's the only reason I can think of why you'd want the time for those flights.

J.

Im sure in crewtrac or something it goes under credit but not block.

I logged a separate column for check airman time.

I kept track if it was OE, Linecheck, or if I was giving an FAA observation, mostly for resume purposes.

But since I'm a has-been, I'm not sure if that's the answer you want. ;)

Good question. I keep track of anything I do in the left or right seat, but not while in the jump. Like Polar says I suppose it would not hurt to log that in a separate column alone and not add it as flight time / total time / PIC, etc.

I only log it for pay/job application info. I don't count time in the jumpseat as flight time.

It's kind of been answered, but here's the way I log Line Checks:

A good rule of thumb is if I sign for the aircraft I log PIC time regardless if I'm acting as a Captain or First Officer. If I'm performing the line check from the jumpseat I'm not a required crewmember and I don't log anything. If I'm acting as a First Officer performing a line check on a Captain who is already qualified in the airplane I log SIC time.

It's kind of been answered, but here's the way I log Line Checks:

A good rule of thumb is if I sign for the aircraft I log PIC time regardless if I'm acting as a Captain or First Officer. If I'm performing the line check from the jumpseat I'm not a required crewmember and I don't log anything. If I'm acting as a First Officer performing a line check on a Captain who is already qualified in the airplane I log SIC time.

Throw a monkey wrench in this one, we just got a memo saying that during a line check, if the check airman is on the jumpseat, they're a REQUIRED CREWMEMBER. Apparently, we've had guys saying check airman on the JS are a "safety of flight" issue......

Throw a monkey wrench in this one, we just got a memo saying that during a line check, if the check airman is on the jumpseat, they're a REQUIRED CREWMEMBER. Apparently, we've had guys saying check airman on the JS are a "safety of flight" issue......

Nice! I guess you make another column for JS time. :)

When I'm giving SAQ's from the jumpseat, it's a bit of an interesting situation. The CA is not legal to operate the airplane without me being there, so I'm a required crewmember serving a required function.

I choose to not make bones about it, though, and just log it in my "AQFO" column and don't place it in TT and so on. I figure I've got a bit over 6000 hours so no real need to nickel and dime flight time like I used to.

Back