Chart Quiz!

TwoTwoLeft

o- - - - - - -l
Who knows what these things circled in red are?

Screenshot_2012-08-11-12-30-38.png

I have no idea. I'm sure I could cheat, but it's more fun to guess... by inference, I'd guess that they'd have to be beacons that flash morse code identifiers in specific directions as some sort of visual aerial guidance?

~Fox

Airway beacons! Yeah, didn't realize they still existed. I just happen to find them while looking at a chart. What's the relevance of the site # (41) for the one in the upper left?

Not sure what the number means but I flew this airway before and it is really cool how it works.

Airway beacons! Yeah, didn't realize they still existed. I just happen to find them while looking at a chart. What's the relevance of the site # (41) for the one in the upper left?
I don't know, however, I'm going to go fly over there just to have a look. Pretty cool.

Having flown that area a good many times, they keep you from hitting the mountains there in MSO :)...pretty damn awesome!

Having flown that area a good many times, they keep you from hitting the mountains there in MSO :)...pretty damn awesome!
Could you explain the part about the Morse Code that goes with it? I assume that means the beacons put out the Morse Code signal, but I've never seen it for myself.

Airway-beacon.jpg

Each tower had site numbers painted on it for daytime identification. At night, the beacons flashed in a certain sequence so that pilots could match their location to the printed guide that they carried. Besides the rotating beacon, one fixed tower light pointed to the next field and one to the previous tower, forming an aerial roadway. Official and emergency fields were lit with green lights while dangerous fields were marked with red.The code beacon, which can be seen from all directions, is used to identify airports and landmarks. The code beacon flashes the three or four character airport identifier in International Morse Code six to eight times per minute. Green flashes are displayed for land airports while yellow flashes indicate water airports.

Could you explain the part about the Morse Code that goes with it? I assume that means the beacons put out the Morse Code signal, but I've never seen it for myself.
They flash what is on the chart so you know what segment of the airway you are on.

Back