Changing to a new plane

gay_pilot18

Ok guys lets say that I'm a pilot for Delta Airlines and I'm currently flying MD-88/90 aircraft and I have obtained enough hours to be trained on a new aircraft maybe say B-737 800 or a 757-200.
How long does new equipment training with an airline typically last I thought I heard someone in here in a previous thread say like 1 yr. That can't be true can it? I'd think training would only last a couple of weeks e.g. 6-8 weeks anyway weight in on this one guys and gals.

Transition training from one aircraft type to another takes about 4 weeks, depending on a lot of things. Someone correct me here, but if you have flown that aircraft before (e.g. flew 757 as an F/O, went to the MD-88, and came back to the 757 as a Cap) and your type rating is still current, then you can get away with doing a 3-5 day course that is similar to the recurrent training you get every year (3 day ground school, 2 days in the sim). If you want, I can send you a 757/767 training course footprint.

I know at Olympic Airways to go from the 747-200 to Airbus 340-300 it took 60 days. Now if you are a Captain on the 747-200 and going from a analogue cockpit flying all your life to a Glass Cockpit those 60 days are hell.

My MD-88 training took about 4 weeks. MD-90 differences took about 15 minutes.

737-800 training, however, takes 6 weeks, yow!

But it all depends on the airline.

cointyro,

coming at ya. check your yahoo email and lemme know if you got it.

if anyone has some webspace i can post it online so you guys can download it (Doug, I'm looking your way, but I know bandwith is an issue so no worries if you can't). It's a small MS Excel spreadsheet, about 26kb.

Do'h! You don't need to PM me, you already sent it to me
blush.gif

757Footprint.xls is located at http://www.coinjet.com/757footprint.html.

Have at it! Courtesy twothousandgt.

Wow I didn't know that transitioning to another aircraft was so structured. Thanks for sharing 2000GT. So I guess my next question would be what happenes if you can't complete/fail the transitioning class? Do you get fired or do you simply continue flying your current equipment?

Brasilia to CRJ at Skywest:
3 weeks classroom for systems/performance
1 week FTD (in the simulator concentrating on procedures and systems knowledge)
1 week SIM (learning emergencies and how to fly the sim)
30-50 hours IOE (learning to fly the airplane on the line)

Back