Changing the date an annual is due

I_WANNA_BE_ATP

Question:

Let's say you have a skyhawk. Annual is due in Oct. But the engine needs to be overhauled this month. While the plane is getting the overhaul can you also have the A&P do the annual ?? Will this change the date of the annual to May ???

Thanks

Yes.

You can have an annual inspection done every month if you desire, the next inspection is due 12 months after the mech signs it off.

I WANNA....as mentioned previously, YES....you can do the annual at the same time as your overhaul. The annual date is not set in stone and can be done whenever you want it to be. It simply makes your next annual 12 calendar months from the date the inspection is signed off. As a minor technicality...you mentioned having a A&P do an annual. I'm sure you are fully aware already, but an IA must do the annual and sign it off...not just an A&P.

Pac Man

91.409 (a) ...no person may operate an aircraft unless, within the preceeding 12 calendar months, it has had- (1) An annual inspection...

As already stated, each time an annual inspection is signed off you start the 12 month period again, whether it has been three months or three years since the last annual inspection.

I would recommend you communicate to your shop/mechanic that you want an annual inspections performed along with the Overhaul. That way they can get started reviewing the logbooks and doing the AD search sooner rather than later. Usually if an aircraft needs an engine overhaul it will need some other work done as well. Best to get it all done at once rather than have un-planned down time for repairs you could have taken care of.

-- StoneAge

I WANNA....as mentioned previously, YES....you can do the annual at the same time as your overhaul. The annual date is not set in stone and can be done whenever you want it to be. It simply makes your next annual 12 calendar months from the date the inspection is signed off. As a minor technicality...you mentioned having a A&P do an annual. I'm sure you are fully aware already, but an IA must do the annual and sign it off...not just an A&P.

Pac Man

I am aware that an IA needs to do the annual, was a typo mistype or brain fart that caused me to type A&P.

To all others, thank you for the input, this situation is coming up with one of the doc's I work with. Since he won't let me fly his plane, I might tell him that he can't have it done :sarcasm:

Naa, I'm not that mean!

well the trick here is to bring your plane in for the annual on the 30th of the month it is due and not get it signed off until the 1st. This way you gain an extra month every year :)

-Jason

I am aware that an IA needs to do the annual, was a typo mistype or brain fart that caused me to type A&P.

I thought it was that any certificated mechanic can perform any work done but the IA has to approve the aircraft for return to service. I know that 100 hour inspections can be a mechanic who can return it to service also.:) I just want to make sure.

I thought it was that any certificated mechanic can perform any work done but the IA has to approve the aircraft for return to service.
Only the annual inspection itself must be performed by an IA. It doesn't take an IA to return the aircraft to service.

I thought it was that any certificated mechanic can perform any work done but the IA has to approve the aircraft for return to service. I know that 100 hour inspections can be a mechanic who can return it to service also.:) I just want to make sure.

Any mechanic (or aircraft owner) can open up the pannels, change the owner, pull the plugs ect.

However only an IA can do the acctuall inspection. By inspection I mean, actually looking around inside with a mirror and flashlight. This CANNOT be delegated to someone else. He must make an entry in the logbook stating that he has done this "annual inspection".

After the inspection is done, any A&P can correct any discrepencies, reinstall the pannels, spark plugs, ect. The A&P can return the aircraft to service once all the discrepencies have been corrected.

Any mechanic (or aircraft owner) can open up the pannels, change the owner, pull the plugs ect.

However only an IA can do the acctuall inspection. By inspection I mean, actually looking around inside with a mirror and flashlight. This CANNOT be delegated to someone else. He must make an entry in the logbook stating that he has done this "annual inspection".

After the inspection is done, any A&P can correct any discrepencies, reinstall the pannels, spark plugs, ect. The A&P can return the aircraft to service once all the discrepencies have been corrected.

Change the owner? hahahahah!

We'd like that sometimes wouldn't we?

I do all my annuals as "owner assist". Basically I do all the work and my IA buddy watches me, checks my work, and signs me off. Of course I'm also an A&P apprentice so after three years of that I'm making his job pretty easy.

My C-150 went down for major in November of last year and When I hung the newly overhauled this passed June that became the new date of annual. Initially the plane would have needed the annual in April but since it wasn't flying there wasn't much point in it. Actually, if you do it right you can get 13 months out of an annual inspection. Fly the airplane until the last day of the annual month if you'd like and then start the annual on the first day of the next month. When the annual is signed off on the third day of the month then the next annual won't be required until the final day of that month a year later....boom...13 months effectively.

One might save some money, too.

Most of the time you won't. What takes you 2 days, an experiance A&P will do in an afternoon.

Same reason that I had a auto shop replace my radiator. I CAN do it in my driveway, but it would eat up my whole weekend, require special tools, make a mess, ect.

Much better to pay a good mechanic to do it in less than a day.

Much better to pay a good mechanic to do it in less than a day.
I don't really agree. Most IA's are going to hand most of the busy work to their underlings who are still going to bill $45/hr on the cheap side. If I'm under the plane taking my inspection panels off thats going to save me some serious cash and allow him to place his guys on more important tasks. Besides, after the second annual you should pretty much have it down cold.

Back