Change of Address

I know it has likely been asked 500 times, but:

If I change my address on the FAA website, am I required to request a new certificate?

Is my cert no longer valid until I get a new one?

Thanks, sorry for the nooob question

I'll take a stab at this one only because if i am wrong then I will no better and can fix it.

I tend to think that if you do it online you are golden. I THINK i remember something on there saying that if you WANT to get a new cert go here or do this. Could be wrong though.

I think also that when I got my CFI reinstated the examiner looked at my com cert and saw that the addy was different than my 8710. He didn't seem to have a problem with that.

So I never submitted for a new certificate. Ok I know it's some pretty lousy logic to base my assumptions on. That's why i am posting.

Thanks Stomp, but I know how, I just don't know if I am required to.

The wording on the FAA site says if you WISH to get a replacement yadda yadda yadda..

The new certs. are really cheap so if it was me, I'd get new ones to match my new residence.

I know.. but still do I HAVE to lol.. I am, in another tab, requesting a new one, but is it legally necessary.

It's a good question that I honestly don't know the answer to. I've always had the same permanent address so never had to deal with it.

My understanding is no. As long as your new address is current with the FAA within the 30 days you should be fine, even if the old one is still on your license. They won't send you a new card unless you make some other sort of change, like a new rating, english proficiency or simply pay the $2 bucks to get a new one.

I would agree with that. I recently moved and kept my old certs, but updated it on the FAA website. You dont have to and certainly would not hurt. How does one go about updating their certificate to show "English Proficient"?

I would agree with that. I recently moved and kept my old certs, but updated it on the FAA website. You dont have to and certainly would not hurt. How does one go about updating their certificate to show "English Proficient"?

same process, just go to faa.gov licences and certs and request a replacement cert for $2.

They ask the reason and just check off "English proficient."

What qualifies as a change of address? If you go to an apartment but still have bills sent to an old address do you need to change your FAA address?

What qualifies as a change of address? If you go to an apartment but still have bills sent to an old address do you need to change your FAA address?

Permanent address change, not necessarily where you are currently living.

-------

I am almost positive they sent me new certificates with the updates address with out paying the two dollars. I don't remember needing my credit card, but then again that was a year ago.

Like others have said, notify the Feds via the website and after that it is up to them.

I am almost positive they sent me new certificates with the updates address with out paying the two dollars.

the circumstance is usually when one obtained their COMM cert previous to the EP designation, then obtained CFI certs afterwards. It creates a spilt certivifcation of addresses.

You do not need to get a new cert. They only need the address so that they have a way to contact you. If you get a new rating, the replacement cert will have your new address on it. No need to send them the $2.

No need to send them the $2.
100% correct. However if someone wants to add ENGLISH PROFICIENT to their pilot certificate, then a new certificate is needed. Also, if the current certificate is paper, there is a drop dead date for paper certificates.

Anyone who has a SSAN as their certificate number can obtain new certificates by requesting removal of the SSAN and assigning a sequential certificate number.

Two bucks is cheap. Save yourself the hassle and order a new one.

If I remember correctly, you are only required to notify them of an address change, not purchase a new certificate to reflect it. Your FSDO is your best resource for questions not covered on the FAA.gov website.

engrish proficiency

ahhhh. Thanks.
--------

I can see how doing that would cause an address spilt.
In my situation I only filled out the change of address form and they sent me the new changed address certificates to me.

Contactground.9errrrs report back to us after you change your address.

Back