Change in CFI PTS

flyslow_va

The FAA has revised the flight instructor practical test standard to clarify when a complex aircraft is required for the checkride, and when it is not.

Changes published Jan. 15 clarify that a complex aircraft is not required when adding an airplane class rating to an existing certificate when the pilot has already been certified to operate complex aircraft.

For example, a CFI seeking to add a single-engine airplane rating to an existing certificate with a multiengine rating need not perform the single-engine checkride in a complex aircraft

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry found it but it didn't say what I was hoping it said. Having a hell of a time finding a complex for my check ride that isn't outrageous for cost and solo approval. I misunderstood and thought my Rotorcraft CFI and complex airplane would allow me to do the check ride without a complex airplane.

Yeah, sorry found it but it didn't say what I was hoping it said. Having a hell of a time finding a complex for my check ride that isn't outrageous for cost and solo approval. I misunderstood and thought my Rotorcraft CFI and complex airplane would allow me to do the check ride without a complex airplane.
Where are you? It would seem any geographic area that has significant flight training toward commercial and CFI requirements would have reachable complex costs.

Back