CFIs Needed

flyguy

Sierra Academy of Aeronautics is opening a new campus for international airline contract training. So far we have contracts with Air China, and Shanghai Airlines. We have leased some facilites at the Old Castle AFB, (now Castle Airport) in Atwater CA. We have dorms, a cafeteria/recreation center, laundry facilities, a gym, and of course classrooms, offices etc. We still need to clean some of the facilities up but they are pretty much ready to go. We had an orientation last week and it looks like the facilities are going to be awesome once they are up and running. The first wave of China Air students will be arriving in the next couple weeks and Shanghai will be arriving in the next couple of months. Once we are fully operational we will have several hundred students and will have to hire more instructors than Sierra Academy is able to produce. As it is we will need to hire 12 instructors for the first wave of Shanghai students that will be arriving shortly, and we won't be able to get them all From Sierra as we've already hired just about everyone who is qualified just for the first wave of Air China students.

If you have at least your initial CFI and are willing to relocate to CA, you are welcome to apply. If all you have is your initial you can finish your CFII and MEI at Sierra for staff rate (hasn't been determined what that will be yet). There are no minimum number of hours required, just the cerificate. We also might need some ground instructors, so if you are currently working on your CFI, you can get your AGI and IGI and teach groundschool while working on your instructor ratings.

You will be instructing in brand new G-430 equipped AMD Alaruses (single engine trainer comparable to a 152) and G-1000 equipped Diamond Twin-Stars. You will not be required to pay for standardization. The pay is $15 for groundschool instructors and $18 for flight instructors. Flight instructors will get $18 for both ground and flight instruction. Housing is FREE if you want to live in the dorms. The rooms are fairly large. Instructors get a room to themselves but share a bathroom with one other instructor. Everyone gets their own sink and refrigerator. You can choose to live off campus but the pay will be the same. One bedroom apartments are about $500 out there. Food is also free if you eat in the cafeteria. Basically you will be living for free but will be getting paid anyway. :rawk:

The only catch is the students don't speak the best English so it will require some patience. The upside is they are the top of their class and are highly modivated. It is their job to be there and to do well, so you will be guarenteed a steady flow of students who will never no-show and will always show up prepared. You also won't have to worry about them running out of money because everything is already paid for. One other small catch is you will be contracted with the school for 10 months, so you can't just up and leave once you meet airline minimums. After your contract you will be welcome to sign up for another 10 months. I don't know about Shanghai, but if you end up on an Air China team, after 2 ten month contracts and 2000 hours of instruction, you will be invited to become a first officer for Air China. That will require a 5 year contract with Air China but their upgrade time is only about 18 months. This is all optional of course, but it is an interresting alternative to the regional airline route. (787 vs. CRJ) The pay (in American Dollars) is not as much as that of a typical regional airline in the US, but is much higher than the average person in China

This is going to be huge, and I'm very excited to be a part of it. I can't think of a better place for a CFI to be. It is truely an awesome opportunity.

Any qualified individuals interrested in applying, feel free to PM me your resume and I'll pass it along to the Chief Instructor.

aloft said:
What are the prospects for multi time?
The students will progress from private, instrument, then commercial multi, so roughyly 33% of the hours you get will be multi.

adreamer said:
I might send my resume since I speak Chinese
Feel free to send your resume, but speaking Chinese won't be an advantage as the Students are forbidden to speak anyhing but English in the classroom or in the plane. They are onlly allowed to speak Chinese in the dorms. In fact we have a Chinese instructor who is not even alowed to let the students know he is Chinese. If asked he is supposed to claim to be Korean.

I would love to do it, but it would be a 100 mile trip from my house one way. That seems like a bit much.

Screaming_Emu said:
wow, that sounds really interesting. Too bad I wont be graduating until august
you weren't around when UND was training chinese students, were you?

Maybe I'll apply, the free food and housing would be enough that I could commute and stay there..

sounds great...

sounds a little too good to be true. free dorms and free food? how are they making money? and when are they looking to hire cfi's... is there a deadline they need them by or? is this all projected? thanx

sleepy3528 said:
sounds a little too good to be true. free dorms and free food? how are they making money?
They are charging China Air and Shanghai airlines lots of money.
and when are they looking to hire cfi's... is there a deadline they need them by or? is this all projected? thanx
We'll need 12 instructors right away to start in December-January. That is guarenteed. If you want to talk projected, between the two airlines we'll have over 200 students and will need over 50 instructors, and according to the chief, Air China just asked us if we could handle 800 students. Its safe to say we'll be continually hiring instructors for a while, and starting new classes every few months.

flyguy said:
They are charging China Air and Shanghai airlines lots of money.

We'll need 12 instructors right away to start in December-January. That is guarenteed. If you want to talk projected, between the two airlines we'll have over 200 students and will need over 50 instructors, and according to the chief, Air China just asked us if we could handle 800 students. Its safe to say we'll be continually hiring instructors for a while, and starting new classes every few months.

Is the housing assured or one of those "until we need the space and kick you out" kinds of things?

I'm really considering just leaving the house and GF here and living out there for a few semesters, or until I can get to 1100TT.

Yeah this is starting to sound more and more tempting. I'm not too interested in living in Atwater, CA but it sounds almost too good to be true.

Philip said:
Is the housing assured or one of those "until we need the space and kick you out" kinds of things?
It's asured. I've seen it with my own eyes. There's lots of space out there, its an abandoned Air Force Base. They will kick you out after ten months though, unless you sign up fo another ten. I guess you could think of it like a lease on an apartment.

John Herreshoff said:
Yeah this is starting to sound more and more tempting. I'm not too interested in living in Atwater, CA but it sounds almost too good to be true.
We get enough JC'ers there, you won't mind that you're living in Atwater, CA! :nana2:

This doesn't have a real high "scam quotient" as far as I'm concerned; Sierra has been around for a long time, a friend of mine used to instruct for them at LVK when they did the Korean Air ab initio program.

What does concern me is being cooped up in airplanes with dudes who only bathe once a week! :eek:

flyguy said:
It's asured. I've seen it with my own eyes. There's lots of space out there, its an abandoned Air Force Base. They will kick you out after ten months though, unless you sign up fo another ten. I guess you could think of it like a lease on an apartment.
Huh,
how's the facility? standard crappy dorm and a public shower or what?

Back