CFI's - Do you have a 2nd job?

BoDEAN

CFI\'s - Do you have a 2nd job?

If so, share it.
Already thinking ahead to those JAN/FEB months when rent will be due, and times will be slow in MI

Re: CFI\'s - Do you have a 2nd job?

Jan and Feb in MI? Ha - what about Nov, Dec, and Mar?
wink.gif

Seriously - I had a friend get a job at Pizza Hut delivering pies while he was instructing. Try that at night - there will be alot of "night time" during those months and you won't have many students wanting to fly anyway. Not the most glamorous job but he made decent money for the number of hours he worked. Quite often he made more money delivering pizzas than he did instructing.

Jason

Pizza Hut. Ha. They put me through college!!!

One part time job that's actually easier to get than one might think are adjunct faculty teaching jbs at local community colleges. I did this and taught some pretty basic computer classes for about $40/hr.

Unfortunately for me, California's Gray-out has cut into the schools budget so now all I got is the CFI thing..

Same here-Instructing is 2nd job. I manage a radio station and coach Jr High Football.

Ditto here, instructing is 2nd job for me. I'm a flight test engineer.

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto here, instructing is 2nd job for me. I'm a flight test engineer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your primary job and your second job sound like one and the same.

I'm not the kind of flight test engineer that gets to fly. They don't trust me in back of the hornet to get to fly in them yet!!!

I was an I.T working for a company with US and Mexico retail stores. I quit, I need more availability to flight instruct. I will give Instructing a full time chance, and check it out.

[ QUOTE ]
I quit, I need more availability to flight instruct. I will give Instructing a full time chance, and check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

No my son! Haven't you heard the expression, "Don't quit your day job???"

Work hard and stock up on the Ramen noodles.

My second job is the Air Force reserve as a Loadmaster. Then we got activated for a year. Havent given instruction since Feb
frown.gif

Is McDonalds hiring? I'm looking for a pay increase.

Hell, you all are talking about second job... I can't even find a CFI job at all!!!

I work as a Webmaster full time, and flight instruct on the weekends. Currently have 3 students.

Its not easy to find students now adays.

Well said. Finding studets can be tough. I live in Denver and instruct 6 or 7 days a week. I've been instructing since Aug 02. The whole time I've had a part time job (two four hr shifts each week) at a local pilot shop on the field. The flight schools are tucked away but students always wandering into the pilot shop and ask where they can learn to fly. I scoop them up. This has kept instrucing 70 hours a month since I began instructing a year ago. I'm closing in on part 135 PIC mins and I'm hoping to fly freight in the Rockies this winter in a Navajo. This marketing strategy has worked really well for me. I fly more than almost any other CFI I know, inculding the guys who've been at it 2 to 5 years and have a really large referal base.

Back