CFII and MEI Course

A Pilot

I am looking at ATP to get my CFII and MEI. Does anyone have any experience with the five day course? Any advice on how to prepare for this course?

Know the suppliment completely and make sure that you are up to date on instruments (you could pass an instrument check ride now). The MEI is just like your multi add-on except that you are flying from the right seat and teaching as you go. Also, there is a drag demo you will have to run through. The II course is close to your instrument check-ride. Which location are you going to attend? I would review the JEPPS instruction in the front of the JEP pack. That is an excellent instrument review.

I am afraid ATP doesn't tell you much. I sign up and I go. Which approaches should I be planning on? Should I make lesson plans? I am scheduled at Fort Lauderdale. I am confident in ATP and their quick program but you dont get much info from thm besides show up on your scheduled date. I guess I will bring the PTS and other things I know I need for a checkride.

I am in the same situation...I'm taking the 5 day CFII/MEI course in January.

I too am curious as to what preperation to do before getting there. I feel I'm already very familiar with the Seminole supplement. What else should I do? I remember when getting my initial CFI I studied like crazy making lesson plans, etc....Should the same be done before I get to ATP? Any suggetions from people who've completed the 5 day program would be greatly appreciated.

I am taking the five day CFII and MEI not the ATP course. If anyone on this forum has actually completed the course, I would love to hear about their experience.

braidkid, I would like to discuss how you are preparing and if ATP has given you any more info other than show up.

What ATP location are you doing the CFII/MEI program? I'm the instructor at ATP Richmond, and can send you more specifics if you're coming here.

pscraig, I would appreciate any info you could leave me about the II MEI course. What is the five day schedule like? What would be the best way to prepare?

Hey pscraig, I am going to ATP in Manassas. It would have been cool to have a member of JC as my instructor though!! Do you know any of the instructors at the Manassas location?

As far as preperation goes, I'm getting ready for the 4 day multi rating next week. I've gone over the supplement many times. I've also flown the approaches on MS flight simulator for familiarization. As for the CFII/MEI that I'll be doing in January, I really haven't done more preperation than going over the supplement. I hope to get some more insight once I'm up there for my 4 day multi. I'll let you know if I find out anything in regards to the 5 day instructor program.

For an MEI, I'd try to get a Seminole POH and study the systems and procedures in depth. Also be prepared to give a lesson plan on a multiengine topic such as a Vmc demo.

For the CFII training, be extremely proficient in approach procedures and cockpit management. If you have never flown a GPS approach, spend time now learning about them. Garmin has a PC simulator for the GNS430 that will show you every feature of the unit, and will save you a lot of frustration if you can use its basic features when you arrive.

A book that I highly recommend is "The Complete Multiengine Pilot" by Bob Gardner. I read it before coming to ATP, and find that my students who have read it before arriving breeze through the oral exam.

I have compiled a 31-page packet of ground school info, checklists, and forms for arriving students that complements the supplement. It's too big to email however.

Also, after your first flight try and get some "cockpit time" in the airplane, just running through checklists and getting familiar with the locations of the various switches and controls.

I did the MEI, CFII course just over a year ago. I went in prepared with lesson plans and knowing the POH info. I also got the approach plates prior to the rides. I was very happy and thought it went well. I just recently returned and did my ATP ride. I did the ATP training with a fellow JC instructor and did the checkride with the same examiner I did the MEI, CFII with.

Back