CFI Written

highflying

I am studying for the CFI written and am using the ASA test prep book. In the book it has lots of questions over helos. and hot air balloons. Will these questions be asked on the Airplane CFI written test or is it for people trying getting the helo and hot air balloon CFI? Because I have never set foot in a helo or hot air balloon so I dont have a clue on most of the questions. Oh and I know this post isnt about a checkride but I didnt know where else to put it. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I am studying for the CFI written and am using the ASA test prep book. In the book it has lots of questions over helos. and hot air balloons. Will these questions be asked on the Airplane CFI written test or is it for people trying getting the helo and hot air balloon CFI? Because I have never set foot in a helo or hot air balloon so I dont have a clue on most of the questions. Oh and I know this post isnt about a checkride but I didnt know where else to put it. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The ASA books cover FAA questions for a wide range of Categories within a particular Certificate. For CFI-Airplane, you'll only be asked Airpane-Category questions.

Get the Gliem: it has all the answers to the questions right there and it's airplane specific.

Yeah, I've always used Gliem. Then when I went to get a Commercial book all they had was ASA. I picked it up thinking it was the same thing but.... that thing sucked! It's like ASA went out and actually tried to make the most unuseable, unreadable book possible. Needless to say, I bought the Gliem the next day. The *only* good thing about the ASA book is that it includes the actual testing supplement, Gliem just has the figures in the book.

If anyone wants a totally unused ASA Comm test prep PM me
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I picked it up thinking it was the same thing but.... that thing sucked! It's like ASA went out and actually tried to make the most unuseable, unreadable book possible. Needless to say, I bought the Gliem the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone wants a totally unused ASA Comm test prep PM me

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm ... Ed ... you need to work on your sales pitch a little!
grin.gif

LOL!!
grin.gif

That's like when you eat or drink something that is just NASTY and say:

"MAN - that's NASTY!!! Here - YOU taste it."

wink.gif

Hell I didn't say I'd charge 'em for it!

....I'm just looking for a way to escape the pain of seeing that big ugly orange book sitting there staring back at me every time I get home.

Buy the Gleim CD test prep software. Trust me, it will make your life A LOT easier, and it's more fun to study (if that is possible).

I'm a huge fan of everything Gliem, but at $50 to $60+, the testprep software nearly doubles the total cost for the test... try www.webexams.com for a free online test prep. It's not as good, but it's not as expensive either.

I have used ASA software for all my writtens from Instrument through CFI and have had minimal problems with it. I would say the cost is well worth it.

Umm, ya!!! I took my CFII written yesterday after not studying anything IFR related for just shy of a year! Passed with an 82. Not a stellar score by any stretch. But consider this. I went through the ASA prepware test only twice the night before!!!

Not bad!

I walked into my FOI written cold turkey without studying and had to, umm, come again!
smile.gif

Yeah the FOI was a weird test to study for since it has nothing specifically to do with flying an airplane. I went trhough the Gleim test prep book 4 or 5 times, took the FOI last thursday and made a 100. But, if I hadn't gone through the gleim there is no way I would've passed it.....the lifeline on the FOI is the fact that there are only about 190 questions in the test pool.

The FIA is a bit tougher I hear.

Yeah, FOI is easy. Read through gleim a couple times, and missed a couple taking it. Good enough.

The FIA though. First test to have to think on. I always pretest myself. It is the first one I barely got a passing score on right off on my first practice. Of course, I skipped the ones that took any figuring, W&B and xcountry questions, but still only got in the 70s, 76 I think. So I usually do that, to see what content of the test are first, then go from there. There are some funny ones in the FIA test. Something about a couple pictures showing a slip or a skid. Then the question is, if you are in one condition, what does it tell you has to be done for for the 8 on plylon. steeper bank, lower pivotal alt, raise pivotal alt. And a bunch of other questions like that. Actually causes you to think about stuff, imagine that
smile.gif

I'm back into practice tests (a month after finishing the Gleim) for the FIA and of all the writtens so far this is the sucky one.

Oh well ... keep pounding away.

Alchemy,

The FOI stuff is 'weird', unless you've been an educator somewhere or else are aleady a CFI.

What I once thought was kinda a pain in the ass - swat this FOI fly and get back to aviation exams.. I now look back on and am glad I had to learned this stuff.

i'm not alleging you are bad-mouthing the FOI. I am only adding that aviation-folks who are working to become CFI's at least take a breath of air, relax, and at least a little bit appreciate what the FOI stuff is all about.

Typically, any pilot who has had a nightmare of a CFI appreciates the FOI material, even if its dry.

Point taken. My CFI is still grilling me on the FOI material even though I've passed the written. I'm supposed to give six 30 minute lectures over the material each chapter of the gleim FOI. I suspect I will know the material pretty well by the time the checkride rolls around.

Weird was a poor word choice for my experience studying for the FOI. I should've said "challenging" (which is not the norm for most FAA writtens).

Back