CFI written exam sign-off

BlueStreak

I don't have a copy of the FAR's handy and had a question. Do I need a sign-off for the CFI or FOI? How about the ground instructor writtens? Thanks for the help.

According to FAR 61.183 (d) Recieve a logbook endorsment from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructed listed in 61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test.

No, you don't need a sign off for any CFI knowledge (written) tests. That includes FOI, CFI, and CFII. I think AGI is included as well. If you don't pass you will need an endorsement.

You have to read the FAR's very carefully on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
According to FAR 61.183 (d) Recieve a logbook endorsment from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructed listed in 61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then there's (e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in 61.185(a)(1) of this part.

Notice how the two aren't together in one part there's (d) and (e) VS (d) and (d)(1) as they would be for PPL, IA, or CPL. Under those parts (PPL, IA, CPL) you will see that your flight instructor must certify that you are prepared to take the required knowledge test.

Did I confuse you
tongue.gif

NOOOOOOO...read it again!! You have to have an endorsement from an instructor on those subjects...but not to take the knowledge test.

See, if you look in 61.123, in the section that deals with the commercial, Section (c) (2), a CFI in that case muct certify that you are prepared to take the test.

For the CFI, however, you don't need an endorsement to take the test. But you will need an instructor to endorse that you have recieved that knowledge before you can be ELIGIBLE to be a CFI.

Make sense now?

[ QUOTE ]
NOOOOOOO...read it again!! You have to have an endorsement from an instructor on those subjects...but not to take the knowledge test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If that was for me my post must have been as hard to follow as the FAR's. As I stated previously you DO NOT need a written endorsement to take any CFI knowledge test UNLESS you do not pass.

Hey All,

From my understanding you do not need a sign off to take any Flight or Ground Instructor exam. I've taken the IGI and CFI written exams w/o a sign off.

[ QUOTE ]
From my understanding you do not need a sign off to take any Flight or Ground Instructor exam. I've taken the IGI and CFI written exams w/o a sign off.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. No endorsement is needed for FIA (CFI), FII (CFII), AGI, IGI, or FOI tests.

Back