CFI Ride looms

BoDEAN

Scheduled for Thursday the 27th...

I am feeling pretty confident. I went into the FSDO today to meet the lady who will be giving me the ride. I think that helped relieve some stress.
Those damn FOI's though. I've read the book twice, but so so so much to know in there, brain is frying! I guess I will hit the oral exam guide now, and try to learn more from that then the book. Seeing the reactions from people regarding the topic FOI, I feel I am not the only one who feels overwhelmed.

Endorsements, I have the AC for them, and labels with examples, and tabbed in the FAR/AIM so I feel good about that.
I have a lesson plan for EVERY ITEM in the CFI PTS, so I am ok there. Took A LONG time to do, and my 4" binder is thick, but I feel good with that stuff.

All I know, Teach her a ground reference (S TURN) and a cross country (have to relearn the whiz wheel...yawn, spoiled by the electronic e6b. She want's me to teach old school way).

Comments?

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm going to be taking hat ride that the end of next summer.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
have to relearn the whiz wheel...yawn, spoiled by the electronic e6b. She want's me to teach old school way).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be screwed, I should probably learn how to use that whiz wheel. Best of luck man, I'm sure you're overprepared and will do just fine. Stress and anxiety will do that to you.

Surf

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have to relearn the whiz wheel...yawn, spoiled by the electronic e6b. She want's me to teach old school way).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be screwed, I should probably learn how to use that whiz wheel. Best of luck man, I'm sure you're overprepared and will do just fine. Stress and anxiety will do that to you.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Seinfeld is on in the background.
Oral exam guide in my lap
Pen in one hand, whiz wheel booklet (how to guide for dummies if you will) in the other........hehe

I am in the same boat as you. I have to do a part 141 school Final Check before the checkride. Our school has an 8-hour oral to go through before they sign you off for the ride. My school does it a little different from the standard. I get to test for my MEI first, and then get the CFI as an add on.

There is so much in the Aviation Instructor's Handbook to know. My biggest worry is missing some little detail that is hidden in the text, and doing poorly on the ride because of it. Well Good Luck to you!

Tim

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll do just fine!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck!

I'm sure you'll do just fine!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so.
The stress and nerves are peaking today (23 hrs left til ride)

Well, I arrived at the airport at 8am.
The 172RG didn't want to start. That damn cold weather. Took me a few tries, and she finally started. I flew the 20 miles to YIP.
As I turned base to final, I noticed a buckling on the right aileron. It wanted to pull the plane to the right. No clue why. So I landed, and went inside.
The oral started around 930 and lasted til about 3pm. She drilled me on the FOI's. I knew them cold, and what I didn't know, I improvised and she liked. The FAA lady was head of safety, so every sentence I had refered to "safety" in some way or another. That just made her day! You have to know these things and use them to your advantage!

She asked me about endorsements. I showed her the AC's and she wanted to know where limitations go for a solo pilot. I showed her. She asked about weight and balance, cg, stability. She asked about things on the sectional, pressure systems in the plane, when O2 is needed. I hit them cold. She let me use lesson plans and ANY, i repeat, ANY book.
She knows Rod Machado personally, and was impressed I had some of his books. I told her I heard some FAA people frown on non-faa pub's, and she said "you use everything you got!"
I told her how the internet aid's in a lot of information. She, like myself, is an AOPA memeber, and was glad to see that I used them a lot. I had the weather printed up via duats, she was impressed.

I told her I was not a "pro" with the wiz wheel, but we would learn together. She was very happy to do that. We went over the FAR/AIM briefly. I had a lot of stuff printed from the FAA webpage, and she was pleased I did research.

We went out to the plane, and I had the FAA mechanic look at the right aileron. He told me a cable may have come undone, and advised not to fly it. So long story short, 930-4pm. I got the oral done, now have to reschedule the flight. Some guys from the place I fly out of came down and picked me up. I got my AGI certificate though =)

All and All, I am f'ing beat! Fatigue is an understatement. But let me tell you this, today, I took myself to the limits with knowledge. I had some doubts on the oral going in, but I rose to the occasion. It was tough, but I never, NEVER, let her get the upper hand on me. I controlled the oral the whole time, and was one step ahead of her. She could see I knew my stuff cold, and that Safety was #1 in my eyes. Overall she was very impressed. I look forward to doing the flight with her next week. That should be a piece of cake.

Thanks again for all the help.
The myth that this ride is a bi%ch is true. But, if you go in with your game face on, thinking failure is not an option, avoid cockiness, you will do just fine. Remember, if you weren't ready, you wouldn't be sitting there with the FAA doing the ride.

I am going to go have a shot of tequilla. I deserve it. This day, honestly, was one of the longest so far in my 24yrs on this planet!

Sammy Hagar in the cd player (VOA album)
Some cabo wabo tequilla, wew. Time to have a sip, and put the head down and fall asleep!

Thanks again!

Well done Giz, sounds like you breezed through the oral. Best of luck on the flight portion when it comes time for you to try it again.

gizburg,

Very nice post and congratulations. I knew you were overprepared. When someone is that nervous they are usually very well prepared.

Sounds like you nailed that oral. The flight will be no problem, if it is anything like mine you'll be nervous at first but settle right in. It's probably best that you didn't fly because of that fatigue factor.

Anyway, let us know man.

Well done

Surf

I got my CFI back in August and I've given about 350 hours of instruction so far. Helpful hints.

Flight Instructors Lesson handbook rules! You can order this book online. It's got a white cover and red spiral binding. It's pricey but worth it. It's got lesson plans for everyting in the PTS for Priv, inst, com, and multi with an invaluable cheat sheet of endorsments.

If you are teaching in a 141 environment a syllibus is required but even if you teach part 61 I would encourage you to use one. I really like the Jepp private kit. It's a bit pricey but for the student studying at home it's the best option. Follow the syllibus and you'll be able to produce competent private pilots in 40 hours of flight time.

Your check ride is today. Good luck! I hope you can find a CFI job, the markets quite tight right now.

Heya,

Sounds like you did very well man! I'm flying up in Bay City right now, and I'll be taking my CFI ride in Grand Rapids hopefully at the end of the summer.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
Heya,

Sounds like you did very well man! I'm flying up in Bay City right now, and I'll be taking my CFI ride in Grand Rapids hopefully at the end of the summer.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks all.

John, good luck. I took mine at the Detroit (YIP) FSDO.
You'll have fun, and when the oral is done, you will feel the weight lifted off you.

Congrats gizbug! You managed to pass your CFI oral first time with the FAA, which is something most people cannot do. The hardest part is outta the way. The flight should not be a problem!

Good luck, keep us all posted.

Back