CFI Renewal for LCP

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Does anyone here have experience renewing a CFI on the basis of being a 121 line check pilot? I assume one gets a letter from the company confirming your status and experience and then takes it to the FAA?

Trying to figure out if it’s worth the hassle vs suffering through American Flyers again in November.

I just literally called the FSDO when I was a CA and said I need a renewal...took 15 minutes. (LCP doesn't matter)

edit: I did know one of the Feds at the FSDO

You hear about that but I could never make it happen. Sometimes a guy would say they did it at a certain FSDO with a certain inspector. I always have done Gleim and either taken it to the local FSDO or paid for their service where they take care of the paperwork with the FAA for me. If you do line checks I'd say you're higher up the food chair than a line Capt like I was. Maybe talk to your CP and find out if they don't mind you talking to your POI about it.

The flyers FIRC is taking longer to process, they ask for 5 working days now. Still the same time to complete though.

Does anyone here have experience renewing a CFI on the basis of being a 121 line check pilot? I assume one gets a letter from the company confirming your status and experience and then takes it to the FAA?

Trying to figure out if it’s worth the hassle vs suffering through American Flyers again in November.

I did this at a previous regional. Emailed the POI and completed an IACRA and the new cert came in the mail. Took 5 minutes.

Current airline (legacy) allows us to renew on basis of being a line captain. The CMO gave us their contact info and told them to email them when we're ready to renew.

Every FSDO is different. I used to renew mine based on duties and responsibilities as a check airman under part 91. Moved to a different FSDO and tried to renew based on duties and responsibilities as a 91 CP. “That’s only for 135.” Oh well, American Fliers and a craft beer it has been…

Talk to your shop's inspector, and your local FSDO. I've done it with a current paystub showing name, employer and title with the 8710 at the FSDO. That was the inspector's request to verify you are at least a Captain or in a training capacity, not downgraded or terminated.

Skip the FIRC, ain't nobody got time for that.

I just did my AF renewal and it was much easier than years past. Run a refresh app in the background to keep the chapter timer going and anybody with a couple years experience and a separate open tab to look things up can ace the tests (only 2, no more chapter end tests). Don't need to mail anything anymore, just a pic of your old cert uploaded to the website and I got my temp about a week later via email. Very painless.

I process these CFI renewals for 121 check pilots quite frequently. It will not be a problem. Just bring a record or letter that shows that you are (or have been in the last 24 months) that states that you are in that position.

And you can do it three months early and still keep the same base month. No need to wait until Nov!

I process these CFI renewals for 121 check pilots quite frequently. It will not be a problem. Just bring a record or letter that shows that you are (or have been in the last 24 months) that states that you are in that position.

And you can do it three months early and still keep the same base month. No need to wait until Nov!

Awesome, thank you!

Back