CFI reinstatement via II add-on

How do you like the Redbird? No Limits in COE has the G1000 version for $25/hour. I've only sat at it for about 10 minutes, seemed fine but I think I preferred the feel and behavior of my Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo with Xplane 11 simulator setup at home (unfortunately that isn't approved). I used the home setup extensively to prepare for my CFII checkride and I think it was a huge help.

Wife and I have started kicking around some possible business ideas, just wondering what the best value in BATD/AATD markets are.

A former JCer and I toyed with the same idea of putting an approved AATD - in this case, a Redbird FMX - in a facility in DC. We couldn't make the numbers work for the location.

At the time, a good FMX was going to run north of $60K with all the stuff in it you'd want. I was disappointed as I looked under the hood, because they're basically using a nearly-unsupported OS and a flavor of MS Flight Sim. Still, it's an approved device.

Also, the lexan control panels are hideously, eye-wateringly expensive.

My last flight school has one and charges $70 an hour for use, or they offer an unlimited use for 90-days deal for $850 or so. A lot of my instrument students took advantage of that package because the first 13 hours of the 141 program could be done in the sim.

Passed my II today! Very thorough oral and flight, but enjoyable. Really enjoyed getting back up to speed on the instrument world and flying from the right seat again, and grateful to have my instructor privileges back to teach my wife and son, who were waiting for this to be official. Thanks for the tips along the way.
Wanted to see if you had any intel on DPE's in the GEG or COE area? I still have the Redbird and just got a Cherokee 140 with a G430W. Hoping to do some IFR training with it this summer. Need to have an examiner lined up. Will base the plane at WN26, Palouse, WA. But I imagine the market will mostly be GEG area people. Wondered if you've been putting your CFII to work?

Wanted to see if you had any intel on DPE's in the GEG or COE area? I still have the Redbird and just got a Cherokee 140 with a G430W. Hoping to do some IFR training with it this summer.

Yes I’ll send you some info on a couple.

Back