cfi questions

SEAN

I am going to be completing my commercial and CFI rating part 61 at the FBO i have been flying at all along. Can someone give me a realistic expection of the traininng that will be required(not the requrements, but what people have really had to do). I am just wondering about cost, time period, how much ground school, how much time in the right seat before it became second nature? I plan on flying 2-3 days a week. Right now i have 181 total time in sel

Well... don't know it this is going to help, but I'm EXACTLY where you are right now.

I have just over 205 hours and working on my Commercial rating at the same FBO where I got my IR and my multi-engine ratings.

As far as what you have planned (flying 2-3 times a week) that's also what I am doing and it's working out VERY well.

I fly once a week with my instructor. During that time, we do the Commercial maneuvers, then we switch seats and I fly right seat to get used to that perspective for my CFI ratings.

Then, I generally try to fly once more during the week solo - either a quick x/c or I go up and practice maneuvers.

Add to that, one flight on the weekend either solo or with another pilot splitting the cost of the airplane.

So far, it's worked out beautifully for me.

Drop me a PM if you have any more questions.

R2F

Flying 2-3 times a week I would plan on 6-8 weeks. It took me 10 hours flying in the right seat and I was comfortable. Remember, it's mostly book work studying for the CFI. Get the PTS and start writing lesson plans. It's sucks but it's all worth it once you get that shiny new certificate in your hand. Let us know how you come along.

Sean what you described is exactly what I did / am doing (almost done, too!
grin.gif
).

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone give me a realistic expection of the traininng that will be required(not the requrements, but what people have really had to do). I am just wondering about cost, time period, how much ground school, how much time in the right seat before it became second nature? I plan on flying 2-3 days a week. Right now i have 181 total time in sel

[/ QUOTE ]

Cost... tough to say as always. Average of $100/hr works out really well, which would mean it's gonna be around 7 grand, maybe a bit more because of the complex time.

Time period, well if each flight is 1.5 and you fly 3 times a week and you need 69hrs...

For training required... much of the CFI is ground stuff, so if you start making lesson plans and teaching now you'll lessen the cost signifigantly in terms of ground time.

Right seat took a few flights, but I felt just fine after the 3rd or so.

I suggest making sure you meet commercial reqs by doing the XCs. Then go out and do something fun... you don't need to train all 70 hours, do a tailwheel or aerobatics course; it probably won't add much to the total cost. You'll also get way better at flying than you would if you did the same amount of time doing chandelles. Plus if you do aerobatics there's your spin sign off right there.

Then spend the rest of your flight time by working toward the CFI by doing commercial maneuvers fromt the right seat and explaining as you go.

Oh one more thing... ask the DE if you can do your commercial ride from the right seat. That way you can do 100% of your 70 hours from the right (including the aerobatics / tailwheel if you choose to do it) without having to worry about switching back to the left for the comm ride.

Back