CFI pay

Adam

What is the average starting salary of a new CFI, and how much better does it get if you work somewhere for a long period of time. Is the pay usually hourly or salary, if hourly , does it go by flight time and instruction time???

CFI pay is usually dependent on how much the person you work for wants to share...Although normally the charge to the student is called "instructor fee", the CFI wil usually get about half of what they charge..for example..FBO charges 35 bucks an hour for the CFI, in turn pays the CFI 15 bucks an hour..Some instructors freelance themsleves and are able to charge and pocket 100% of their own set fee...thus making more money and avoiding the FBO as a middle man...I have heard of a few cases in which the FBO sets a salary for the CFI and if the instructor exceeds a certain number of hours they may get paid an extra hourly wage..

Most pay is hourly and usually includes both flight time and ground briefling time only. This takes away from potential income in that although you may be at work ready to fly..if a student is late or the weather isnt cooperating, you are not generating income waiting around..hobbs time or ground time is usually all you get paid for..

I guess basically there are many ways a CFI can get paid, but normally they are not paid as much as they are worth, but you will find this translates to many pilot occupations...

I flight instruct at a university aviation program. Our CFI's are paid on a graduated scale.

You start at $8.50 an hour.

You get a $1 raise for each of the following:
100 Dual Given, 300 Dual Given, 500 Dual Given, 800 Dual Given, 1000 Dual Given

Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree

CFII, MEI

You can top out at $17.50. The instructor fee is $25 an hour.

That fee also goes to pay dispatchers, line service guys, maintenance, and Check Instructor salaries. Check Instructors are salaried at around $20,000/yr.

This brings up a question i have about "free lancing" if your checked out at a FBO, then is it ok to take their planes and give instruction in them? What is most FBOs policy on this matter?

I almost cleared about 11 grand last year. Everywhere you flight instruct the rules are different, but just about every flight instructor makes less than 20 grand no matter what the rules turn out to be.

[ QUOTE ]
This brings up a question i have about "free lancing" if your checked out at a FBO, then is it ok to take their planes and give instruction in them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they specifically allow you to instruct in their aircraft. Some FBOs are all for it (helps them make the payments), and other strictly forbid it.

Back