CFI Pay?

My base pay is 12/hr for flight and ground instruction. However, we have a sliding pay scale as follows:

0-60 billable hours at 12/hr
60-80 billable hours at 14/hr
80-100 billable hours at 16/hr
>100 billable hours at 18/hr

Almost impossible to break 100 hours. I usually bill between 70 and 90 hours per month. Most of that is flight time.

If nothing else I at least have my partner in crime to help support my future flight habit. I will be flying instead of pushing pills and wiping asses.

throwing my info into the pot..

when I do primary training or discovery flights, I get $17.50 per hour. Anything else like BFR's, insurance checkouts, highperform/complex stuff I get $20/hr. I dont think I realized until recently that this is pretty good since cost of living is not too bad in my area.

Is it possible for a CFI to make over $1000 per month. I am figuring my expenses, and between my car payment and apartment/utilities, I have about $1000 / mnth in bills.

Man, I am sooo moving to Redding. Nice area, decent Chinese food on field, and much better pay than down here in Fresno hell!

jdflight,

Ha ha on the Peter Chu's food. Not too bad actually and a nice view of the ramp. I am based in RDD muni's other little secret, Benton Airport. Redding is a great place to instruct, I just had a great day last week taking people in the 182RG west to all the little podunk strips on the way to the coast.

You been up here obviously??

DeanR

Why? Do you have a burning desire to punish him?! It's still over 100 degrees here, and there's no good food near the airport. Okay, not entirely true. There are two very good mom n' pop places nearby, but they're not within walking distance. Send him someplace cool. I don't like sending students to Redding. Victor 99 is way to freaking easy for a commercial student.

Sweet view of Shasta from Redding. I recently did a trip from Portland to the LA area and from Portland to Shasta/Redding is the best. South of RDD gets pretty boring. I could barely see the ground on a sunny day at 10,000 feet b/c of so much crap in the air.

punish him? that is where you are wrong my friend
smile.gif
:):) Redding CFI's and our students alike are pretty damn accustomed to some nasty heat. Heck, I was sittin on the ramp of RDD in a C-402 at 4 in the afternoon on the same day that Redding was listed as the hottest place in the world !!!!

Your suggestion is well taken though. There's lots more interesting places to send a comm solo than down the valley. As a matter of practice, I pick the dual VFR XC's and let THEM pick their solo trip.

I will say though that we ARE really lucky to be flying and training up here. I truly think Redding is a secret. Second only to Yuma AZ in the annual number of VFR days, we are really close to mountains, coastal fog, a mix of airports so theres lots of good training situations (I dont apologize to ANYONE for not having class B HERE
smile.gif
:)... and most important to a CFI.. LOW COST OF LIVING!!

[ QUOTE ]
I get $15 per hour for flight time or briefing. I get no benefits or base pay. I work a second job to pay the rent. But I really enjoy it, It's great to get paid for flying an airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of 2nd job do you work that allows you to fit it into your schedule with flying?

You must have some long a*% days then....

I plan on being at airport M-S most of the day, getting walkin's and flying. They are looking for someone to be there A LOT because now, no one is there to great walkin's.

I played music at night and CFI'd all day. I vividly remember waking up on short final one day with a guy who hadn't made a decent landing yet ...

"We'll make this one full stop, ok?"

I've been thinking about maybe substitute teaching now and then for some extra cash (if I can deal with all the little hellyans). Anyone else ever do/consider this?

Back