cfi pains

Hey I busted the CFI twice also. That was my only time failing a checkride. After that I have had 3 airline interviews and have been offered the job on all of them. Im am now at my second airline. I learned two important things. Never let your CFI expire... It was slit if work getting it so I would hate to have it expire. Also No matter what you failed you can still do a great job on your interview if you know your stuff. Just study
And put the failure behind you. You'll be ok.

That being said however, it seems as you may have a problem with your knowledge. You said you first busted on an endorsement question and then you busted the second time on being too high on ground reference? Both of these are knowlege related and you definitely SHOULD know exactly how high to do ground reference (this is not your first song and dance w/ GR maneuvers).

The ground ref was my fault. I am from Ohio and have done all my flight training there and we do ground ref @ 2000. I did it in Chicago so I was about 1200 feet off the ground. Still something that I think is ridiculous to bust someone on. The endorsement was out of control. I was timed and had to have the signoff done in a certain amount of time. I was rushed and messed up. My oral was not open book at all except for a little bit on the regs. When I brought it up to him...he told me I should know everything in the PTS cold and not make any mistakes. The endorsement was the first thing I said wrong in the whole oral. Where is the 70%?

The ground ref was my fault. I am from Ohio and have done all my flight training there and we do ground ref @ 2000. I did it in Chicago so I was about 1200 feet off the ground. Still something that I think is ridiculous to bust someone on. The endorsement was out of control. I was timed and had to have the signoff done in a certain amount of time. I was rushed and messed up. My oral was not open book at all except for a little bit on the regs. When I brought it up to him...he told me I should know everything in the PTS cold and not make any mistakes. The endorsement was the first thing I said wrong in the whole oral. Where is the 70%?

My only question is why are you doing your CFI with the FAA when you already have your initial ride (CFII) out of the way? I know an examiner does cost a pretty penny depending on where you are located, but it would be nicer than having to put up with an FAA ride a second time.

Heck, by this time you have already payed the amount you would have paid an examiner by having to do extra training to get your signoff. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.

The way the AF academy works is that you finish up your double apr first as an add-on and then go to the fsdo. Once you get your flight instructor airplane they just tack on the II. Hope that makes sense to ya...

Ah you got the bad AF location. At the PMP location you get your CFII as your initial and the CFI-A as the add-on. I recall hearing something weird about that CFII thing at other AF location where the CFII is first but not added till the FSDO ride. I just forgot about that :p

GL on your next ride, just make sure you are within 600-1000ft AGL of the ground ;)

If it makes you feel any better I made the exact same mistake on my MEI ride doing turns around a point. Examiner even asked me what the altitude for the maneuver was during it and I chirped '600-1000ft AGL'. I was doing the ride in Ft. Lauderdale, first time flying there really and forgot we were basically at sea level. The re-check was funny.

Sure sounds like the endorsement bust was a complete bunch of BS. Who is going to write endorsements w/o using a cheat sheet. Biggest bunch of • i've ever heard. Keep your head up and like the poster before me said, get down to 600-1000 ft for your ground ref maneuvers. It's unfortunate you got such a dikhead examiner. Remember this when you are training cfi applicants, make sure they are way overprepared and don't ever use this idiot again. Good luck!

I tend to agree. I've written so many endorsements I kind of know them by heart now but I still looked at the advisory circular on endorsements to make sure I was not making a mistake.

Back