CFI Mentoring

escapepilot

North Carolina is proposing a pilot program where new CFIs would be paired up with a CFI mentor. The mentor would have to have at least 5 yrs of instructing experience. I don't think this program has started yet, so details haven't come out.

What are everyone's opinons? Good idea or not?

Although I am not in favor of this being a requirement, i think its an amazing idea to have this as an available program. As a low time CFI myself, I would take advantage of this in a second if I had the opportunity.

In fact, any experienced CFI's in the SNA or LGB area what to be a mentor???

:yeahthat:

I know a couple schools that do this for newly hired flight instructors with no practical experience, but it's their own program and not mandated by the state or the FAA.

Its not really jurisdiction as much as it is a cooperative agreement. As I understand it, the FAA has wanted to try this, but didn't have funding, etc. I'm not sure how the state DOT/DOA will implement it, but I expect it to be voluntary.

North Carolina is proposing a pilot program where new CFIs would be paired up with a CFI mentor. The mentor would have to have at least 5 yrs of instructing experience. I don't think this program has started yet, so details haven't come out.

What are everyone's opinons? Good idea or not?

5 years eh? Since when did that become the magic number?

They've only got 49 more states to go!

Is this being proposed as a requirement for all NC CFI's or just optional?

There are much cheaper and better ways to perform this than the program mentioned. I will let you know when my plan hits the market. ;)

Back