CFI Liability Insurance: NAFI vs AOPA

kosjon

Are there any opinions out there regarding the CFI liability insurance offered by NAFI vs AOPA? Both seem to be very comparable regarding price and coverage but just wondering if any of you have experience with one or the other that might help me in my decision!

Thanks!

I'f I'm not mistaken, they are the same policy from the same company. Just marketed by two different oganizitions.

After much digging around, here is what I have found, for what it is worth.

My dilemma is I am part owner in the aircraft in which I instruct however our flying club's insurance policy does not cover me when acting as CFI.

I found that NAFI will not cover me in their non-owned policy because of my part ownership, regardless of how diluted my share is.

AOPA, however, will cover me in their CFI/non-owned policy as long as my ownership is less than 1/19th. Since I have only 1/38th ownership, they will cover me with no problem. I guess it will be AOPA...

A real headache, all of this, but better be safe than sorry.

NAFI Falcon Insurance is absolutely worthless. It is worse than having coverage, because it is false coverage. They don't understand the concept of the CFI as responsible for all things regarding the flight, including ground movements. One will have have to sue Falcon for non-coverage in order for them to provide it.

AOPA, fill out the paperwork, submit the form, carry on.

I'm going to be a dork... but. :buck:

CFI insurance for a freelancer??: I owe at least $50,000. I am already over my head in debt. I make $20,000 per year. I am going further into debt just typing this post or filling out the insurance paperwork I already cannot afford.

Moral of the story... SUE ME!!!! Please, oh please allow me to claim bankruptcy. I would just dread getting rid of all my debts through your lawsuit.:sarcasm:

Reality: I'm going to be a great instructor. I'm not going to do anything to bring on a possible lawsuit.

Counter: Sue a CFI? Give me a break. Whats the purpose? Only a slimy attorney would encourage you to throw your good money toward my bad money knowing that Mr. Bankruptcy lives right around the corner from my crack-house neighborhood apartment.

Counter: Sue a CFI? Give me a break. Whats the purpose? Only a slimy attorney would encourage you to throw your good money toward my bad money knowing that Mr. Bankruptcy lives right around the corner from my crack-house neighborhood apartment.

Many CFIs have been sued over the years. An initial judgment goes for ten years and can be renewed multiple times. Don't pay that judgment and your wages can be attached and a percentage paid out of each one. Or when the prevailing party decides, your assets can be seized. It might not be this year, it might be thirty years from now when you buy that red sports car. Worse, bankruptcy doesn't always clear a lawsuit judgment.

I know that AOPA only covers single-engine while NAFI covers both single and multi-engine instruction.

No one seems to have mentioned the Avemco policy that I have. It is better than NAFI for sure. I dropped AOPA renter's insurance a long time ago for being more expensive than Avemco.

David

Back