CFI/I question

braidkid

Ok, I'm going for my CFI/I at ATP next week and trying to prepare for it. I have a question regarding what areas of operations I'm going to be tested over in the PTS.

If you would, please dig out your CFI/I PTS. I'm looking at the "Addition of an instrument rating to a flight instructor certificate" page. If I already have a flight instructor certificate and am instrument rated in an airplane am I correct that I should only be required to perform the tasks in the far right column? That means no FOI questions and no lesson plan for a maneuver to be performed in flight? This seems too easy.

I'm unsure as to which tasks to prepare for and find it hard to believe I'm only responsible for the limited number of tasks in that column. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
am I correct that I should only be required to perform the tasks in the far right column? That means no FOI questions and no lesson plan for a maneuver to be performed in flight? This seems too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correcto.

My CFII ride consisted of the following (as far as I can recall):

Oral:

Check pilot had me run through how to plan an IFR flight. Every now and then he would stop and ask questions. He only had me "teach" one quick thing, and I don't even remember what it was right now. The oral lasted about 45 min.

Flight:

Pretty basic. I demonstrated an ILS approach, check pilot did a VOR-DME approach that I critiqued, then went missed and I flew a partial panel NDB hold. That was pretty much it.

Good luck...giving instrument instruction is fun!
cool.gif

yea your right...one thing that you should watch...if you look at the required tasks...it looks as if you only have to perform a certain amount of tasks...theres a little note on the bottom that states if applying for an initial rating...all tasks must be completed...just thought id pass on something that almost bit me in the behind

Funny you mention this, my last student did his CFII and MEI with me in Richmond and said the same thing. When I called the examiner to schedule his checkrides, the examiner mentioned that the applicant should give a lesson plan on Vmc and unusual attitudes. Expecting this, I mentioned that the PTS does not require a lesson plan to be given for the addition of a CFII or MEI to an existing CFI certificate, but my question fell on deaf ears. This is funny because the same thing happened to me-I showed up for my CFII checkride without any lesson plans and unprepared to make one, since I used the PTS as a study guide.

Well I just took a deep sigh of relief!! Thanks guys for the help. Now instead of sweating every detail I can sweat just a few!! Checkrides, especially instructor rides suck cause they're so open ended and I have no idea where to begin studying. At least now I have some direction.

What ground do I have to stand on if an examiner asks me a question that's not required under the PTS? I would think that they couldn't legally do this?

Just because it's not required doesn't mean it can't be asked...

'At the discretion of the examiner, the applicant's competence in any areas of operation may be evaluated.'

from the PTS, just under that chart of required items.

Also, check this out: Fair Game on Checkride

Anyone know of a good website that explains heading indicators and attitude indicators in relation to the principle of rigidity in space? I'm still having a hard time bending my brain around this one.

Back