CFI-I oral out of the way, now let's fly it

CaliforniaSurfer

CFI-I oral out of the way, now let\'s fly it

I thought I would post about my CFII oral exam. The flight is scheduled for next Tuesday.

I was on standby since the examiner had a doctor's appointment this morning and we would do the oral after his appointment. He got out early, called me and gave me the option to do it after lunch or at 11am and go through lunch. I figured, let's get to it. I got there at about 10:30 this morning and got situated in the fish bowl.

He arrived shortly after I did, and started collecting my stuff (written exam, 8710, CFI/Medical certificate, fee....). Then he told me how it would go. All the Areas of Operation and Tasks that we would cover. So, we started with II. Area of Operation, Task A and just went down the line; pitot-static system, gyroscopic instruments, magnetic compass. That took about an hour, then we took a 5 minute break. After my very...very...very thorough start, he wanted to move it along, so we moved to #2-Navigation Equipment. He didn't allow me to go into much detail, he just let me explain enough until he was satisfied I could teach it. I like that.

Then he had me explain the ILS and he wanted to teach me, I think. I told him that the LOC and GS were very sensitive and to not chase the needle or make large heading changes inside the OM. He wanted me to elaborate...I was thinking...huh? His suggestion was that I take a student up VFR and fly the ILS so they can see the needles and what the runway looks like. If the needles aren't moving (they're stable), and if they are within a dot or so, they'll be close enough. You're stable, don't mess with it and add to your workload. His point was, if you show them in VFR conditions it really drives home the point on the LOC/GS's sensitivity. I appreciated that lesson, and will be SURE to demonstrate that on Tuesday. I probably didn't do his point justice with my explanation.

Then we moved on to Task C: Regulations and Publications, I just briefly explained what they were, he stopped me at STARs/DPs/EnRoute charts/SIAP because he said I would cover those in the x-country portion. So, we moved on to Task D: Logbook entries related to instrument instruction. That didn't take long, about 15 minutes. Then we took a 10 minute break, and he told me that I would teach him x-country next.

I got my thoughts together and taught him the IFR cross-country flight planning process. It went really well. I was nervous because when I tried to teach VFR x-country flight planning to the same examiner for my CFI oral, I got so tongue tied and stuttered so much it was horrible. This time was like butter, I was really pleased. I incorporated getting Wx, interpreting Wx, DPs, STARs, Approaches, lost communication procedures, and regulations. He was satisfied, then we moved on to TASK C: Instrument Cockpit Check. That took about 25 minutes or so and we were done.

Total time was about 2.5 hours. I expect the flight to be about 1.7 or so, because I'm suspecting a certain VOR-DME arc that is soooo freakin' long.

Anyways, will report when I finish. Sorry that it was so long, but I hope some find it interesting.

Re: CFI-I oral out of the way, now let\'s fly it

yes, thank you, getting ready for my II, very informative. From what I have heard from those that have gone through recently, beware of the DME arc!!! I dont know what it is about that thing, but the de seems to love it. If you have a gps, just overlay it as back up, and use vor primary. Good luck

Re: CFI-I oral out of the way, now let\'s fly it

pureIMC,

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me and I'd be happy to help out if I can.

I'm going up with my instructor on Monday, just to brush some rust off since I haven't flown since last Sunday. The arc isn't so bad, it's just that there's so much time between radials (in the Archer) to be lulled into relaxing and missing a step. I'll be on guard though, and flying the same ARC on MS Flight Sim 2002.

Best of luck man

Surf

Back