Cfi Checkride at Fort Worth FSDO

Not specifically on that FSDO but with the FSDO in general, Remember the whole time you are taking it that it is a teaching process, YOU ARE THE INSTRUCTOR, Have confidence, you are in charge. (just not cocky) if they ask you a question answer it with examples don't bring up things your are not strong on. They will want to know WHY a rule is a certain way. CORRELATION IS THE KEY answer with examples.

If you don't know the answer don't BS them just make sure you can find the answer.

On your flight if you do something wrong be able to explain what you did wrong, they will usually give you a chance or two to get it right.

Yea, YOU ARE THE INSTRUCTOR is correct. I took my CFI with the FTW FSDO back in 1999 with Jim Minter who was very straight-forward and very fair. But after one of our full stops in Denton, he asked if I mind if he flew a pattern, and of course I said "sure". He took off and made some "common errors" and I was thinking, 'heck, is he doing this on purpose to see if I'll critique him or does he normally fly that way and am I better off keeping my mouth shut while he gives me a break?' Don't assume anything he does isn't part of the evaluation; if in doubt ask (or assume it's indeed part of the evaluation and he wants to be critiqued). I guess it would have been better to clarify with him what he expected, but I picked up on his errors and corrected him (diplomatically) and ultimately passed.

Did you take this yet? I have met him a few times, seems to be nice enough. I have no idea how his checkride is. Try to get Chuck Dawson if you can.

Yea, YOU ARE THE INSTRUCTOR is correct. I took my CFI with the FTW FSDO back in 1999 with Jim Minter who was very straight-forward and very fair. But after one of our full stops in Denton, he asked if I mind if he flew a pattern, and of course I said "sure". He took off and made some "common errors" and I was thinking, 'heck, is he doing this on purpose to see if I'll critique him or does he normally fly that way and am I better off keeping my mouth shut while he gives me a break?' Don't assume anything he does isn't part of the evaluation; if in doubt ask (or assume it's indeed part of the evaluation and he wants to be critiqued). I guess it would have been better to clarify with him what he expected, but I picked up on his errors and corrected him (diplomatically) and ultimately passed.

Don't remember what the guys name was when I took my CFI checkride, but he was from Dallas.
He did something similar, but he told me beforehand that the checkride was over(I had passed). He just wanted to see if he could still land the airplane(c-152) on a pre determined spot on the rwy, with no power(simulated).
He nailed it.
Pretty cool guy.
Good Luck!

Back