Cessna's Discovery Flight

AA

Cessna\'s Discovery Flight

I am 16 right now, and I am about to begin on my ppl, like another teenager had posted earlier. Next Saturday I am scheduled to do the Discovery Flight thing through Cessna. Does anybody know about this progam, any info? My dad signed me up for it, and then is going to set me up to start my ppl a couple of weeks later! I am really excited, but does any body have any good helpful tips/information on begging your ppl. It would be really cool to have some feedback from you guys!

Re: Cessna\'s Discovery Flight

AA,

If you haven't already, I would suggest buying either an ASA or Gleim PPL course book and begin preparing for the written. You will also want to buy ASA's book that preps for the oral.(it's the little blue one). Its main objective is to prepare you for the oral portion of the checkride, but it is full of usefull information for everyday flying.

Other items you will need (want):

1. Headset.
2. Your own checklist.
3. Operating handbook for the aircraft you'll be using.
4. Plotter.
5. E6B, either the mechanical or electrical version.
6. VFR sectionals and an Airport Facilities Directory (AFD) for your area.
7. Kneeboard. Not mandatory, but very helpful for writing down ATIS and other pertinint information.
8. Fuel sump.
9. Flashlight with extra batteries and an extra bulb.
10. 2003 FAR/AIM
11. Last but not least, a flight bag to hold it all!

Good luck with your training, you'll have a blast!
smile.gif

AA,

flyitup gave you quite the list, you haven't even taken your discovery flight yet so don't worry about all that stuff right off the bat. That list contains things you will need eventually but your CFI (flight instructor) will tell you what you need.

C'mon flyitup, you're gonna scare the poor kid off....lol

Surf

Thanks guys for all of your input, the list really helps out. Surf, its cool man I have been around aviation for a long time, but I am just now old enough to begin to train, plus you couldn't scare me away from aviation!

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon flyitup, you're gonna scare the poor kid off....lol

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
My flight bag was sitting right next to me when I wrote that...

I guess I got a bit carried away!
grin.gif

Flyitup, keep the "carried away" coming, us teenagers need that kind of stuff!

no disrespect to the earlier posts.... but how about go on your Discovery Flight BEFORE you buy all that stuff, especially the headset. Go to the DF just to have fun.

I have flown many of these flights, and I see a lot of people working really hard to demonstrate that they already know everything.. and it gets in the way of having a good experience.

I obviously wasn't clear on my original post...

AA,

As I'm sure you know, I didn't mean to imply that you should go out and buy all that "stuff" before your intro flight. Make the definite decision that you want to get your license first, and then you can slowly start to accumulate some of the necessary items.

Like Bluelake said, just relax on your discovery flight and have a good time!
smile.gif

We do Discovery Flights where I work. The buyer gets an hour flight in a brand new 172sp for 85 dollars with an instructor. If you decide to do your license in one of the 172sp I would recommend buying a Cessna Pilot Kit if they are available. The kit includes just about everything you need for the private pilot license. I was looking at one of the kits the other day. I wish I had one of those when I started flying! It has books, a logbook, plotter, POH, and even CD Roms that explain each lesson!

I didn't know it, but I read in one of the books that the 172SP automically shuts down a transmission after a 30 second duration just in case you ever get a stuck mike! Cool!

Heck I have a 170 hours and still need to purchase some more supplies, heck I have yet to pick up a sectional (seriously!). I have owned one before, however right now I am staying in the pattern and the cheaper terminal is all I need. Also I always take Ed flying, and not only does he provide company, makes sure I am doing eveyrthing right, he also has a sectional. What would I do without him?

[ QUOTE ]
Heck I have a 170 hours and still need to purchase some more supplies, heck I have yet to pick up a sectional (seriously!). I have owned one before, however right now I am staying in the pattern and the cheaper terminal is all I need. Also I always take Ed flying, and not only does he provide company, makes sure I am doing eveyrthing right, he also has a sectional. What would I do without him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Iain...

I think you have it all backwards...

You consider buying a Jaguar, but an $8 sectional is too expensive??
wink.gif

LOL, the deal is I am still paying my dad back some money so although my income is not too bad, between my dad and the tax man, I see very little of it. Once I have paid him back, I will be able to afford the sectional (and be able to fly more). But for what I am doing I really do not need one so it is not a big deal.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I always take Ed flying

[/ QUOTE ]

...so we fly about 0.5 a month...

^^ LOL!! The sad thing is he is not too far off. In the near future, I will be able to fly a bit more but right now I am just trying to get everything sorted out both rembembering how to fly, and my finances.

Back