Cessna 182 recurring AD's

zx6rrider

I know it will vary for each specific aircraft but can anyone tell me what the typical recurring AD's are for the older 182's. 1969 M to be specific. I'm scrolling the the FAA's website but takes a while to read each one.

Seat Rails and.....?

Let's see, probably the magneto switch (basically a p lead check), the crankshaft AD.

Seat rails, mag switch, fuel bladders n placards, that one isn't actually recurring but the placards disappear so often...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info...

Roger--Do you want to share now or after I get done with the pre purchase inspection?

Thanks for the info...

Roger--Do you want to share now or after I get done with the pre purchase inspection?
It won't apply to you, we have a Cessna that had had the bladders replaced with hard fiberglass tanks. They started to leak so we pulled them out and replaced with stock bladders. First step of the process was remove both wings because the hard tanks had to come out by drilling off the butt ribs. Then we had to rebuild the sump area which had been modified to fit the hard tank. And reinstall the snaps in the lower surface of the tank bay that had been removed. And restore the fuel sender cutout in the butt rib to its original configuration. And fab new fuel lines for the wing root because the outlet design on the hard tanks was different. I'm sure I'm missing a few more items but you get the idea.

It won't apply to you, we have a Cessna that had had the bladders replaced with hard fiberglass tanks. They started to leak so we pulled them out and replaced with stock bladders. First step of the process was remove both wings because the hard tanks had to come out by drilling off the butt ribs. Then we had to rebuild the sump area which had been modified to fit the hard tank. And reinstall the snaps in the lower surface of the tank bay that had been removed. And restore the fuel sender cutout in the butt rib to its original configuration. And fab new fuel lines for the wing root because the outlet design on the hard tanks was different. I'm sure I'm missing a few more items but you get the idea.
Stc?

Stc?

Yeah, monarch air. Sounds like a good idea but the reality isn't as good. I'd rather battle a bladder than have to pull a wing to diagnose and fix a fuel tank leak. I have to say, no one did fuel tanks better than Piper on ther Cherokee family.

Yeah, monarch air. Sounds like a good idea but the reality isn't as good. I'd rather battle a bladder than have to pull a wing to diagnose and fix a fuel tank leak. I have to say, no one did fuel tanks better than Piper on ther Cherokee family.
That I would certainly agree with, though the metal tanks on the 150 and 172 series are pretty easy to deal with.

The integral tanks on the new ones are a nightmare. Once they start leaking you might as well just throw the damned thing away.

Last edited:
Here's a novel idea. Instead of using "some dudes on a website" as your reference there is an organization called the FAA. They have this thingy called a web page where you can check out ADs on all sorts of equipment- airplanes, props, engines... You name it.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to help with parsing through the FAA website? In the words of the OP: "It's taking awhile to read each one."

Wasn't the whole point of this thread to help with parsing through the FAA website? In the words of the OP: "It's taking awhile to read each one."

Unfortunately when not complying the FAA won't care.
As an owner I used ADLog to help with compliance for my airplanes.

I know everything will need complied with but given the fact that I didn't have the aircraft, logs or previous ad log records at my disposal all I wanted to know was what recurring ADs are normal on this model so I would be prepared for those. Thought it may save me a little time when looking it over for the ferry flight.

Yes I printed off the AD list from the FAA website and checked them against the logs before signing off the inspection. Any 182 owner or I/A that Maintains one on a regular basis should have been able to answer the original question.

Here's a novel idea. Instead of using "some dudes on a website" as your reference there is an organization called the FAA. They have this thingy called a web page where you can check out ADs on all sorts of equipment- airplanes, props, engines... You name it.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet
Cmon Sam, this guy is researching buying an airplane and just wanted a little help sifting through the chaff of 40+ years of ADs to learn the big ones to watch for. Nothing wrong with that and even as a somewhat experienced IA I would do the same thing on a type that I wasn't familiar with.

Cmon Sam, this guy is researching buying an airplane and just wanted a little help sifting through the chaff of 40+ years of ADs to learn the big ones to watch for. Nothing wrong with that and even as a somewhat experienced IA I would do the same thing on a type that I wasn't familiar with.

The problem is that someone who is buying an airplane needs to know how to see this and read this for himself. Yes, ask how to do so. But asking which recurring ADs need to be complied with on a general aviation website is a good way to lose money and/or face FAA enforcement action. Heck, the airframe is not even the only item that may have a recurring AD. Engines, propellers, STC items may, as well.

When I purchased airplanes in the past I got a print out of the required ADs for the aircraft, to include props, engines, etc, from AOPA. I cross-checked this list with the FAA registry to make sure it was complete.

Heck, the airframe is not even the only item that may have a recurring AD. Engines, propellers, STC items may, as well.\

This was the entire point of the thread in the first place. The aircraft was 75 NM away and the AD's needed complied with prior to ferrying it back for the annual. I could look over the airframe and engine AD's on the FAA website but didn't want to take another pilot over with the intentions of flying it back only to find there was some recurring AD on an accessory I was unaware of.

This was the entire point of the thread in the first place. The aircraft was 75 NM away and the AD's needed complied with prior to ferrying it back for the annual. I could look over the airframe and engine AD's on the FAA website but didn't want to take another pilot over with the intentions of flying it back only to find there was some recurring AD on an accessory I was unaware of.

Problem is, you said nothing about the engine, prop or other items. For example some engines have 100 hour inspections required by ADs- I've seen CFIs get in trouble for overflying 100 hour inspections not realizing they over flew an AD.

Back