Cessna 172 WANTED

Ok. Any specific reason you prefer an M to an L? Just curious, now.
Ideally, You want a P model, then a N model, then a M model. I won't touch anything other than those. The P model has the least amount of headaches to deal with and Cessna fixed a lot of problematic issues on the P model that the others suffered from. Issues that didn't matter in previous models flying as an owner 50-60 hours a year but are expensive when you are doing 2000+ hours per year across your fleet. Continental engines won't hold up in flight training.

Anyone that finds me any one of those models will get a referral fee of $500 cash money. If you find me a smokin deal, hidden gem I'll go higher. They're out there, I just can't get to them because they're owned by an older generation that isn't on the internet. They're only word of mouth guys. Thats where you guys can make some money because ya'll are walkin around the country and know where they're all hidden. :)

I have a REALLY clean low time 1973 172M. It has original paint, windows and interior. It is super clean and always been hangared. It has around 2900 TT and 220 SMOH that was done in 2014. It isn't your average 172 with faded original paint. $73,000
ces1.png
ces4.png
ces3.png
ces8.png
ces5.png

I have a REALLY clean low time 1973 172M. It has original paint, windows and interior. It is super clean and always been hangared. It has around 2900 TT and 220 SMOH that was done in 2014. It isn't your average 172 with faded original paint. $73,000View attachment 46262View attachment 46263View attachment 46264View attachment 46265View attachment 46266
Holy Toledo, will you really get near that price? I should of bought 10 of these 20 years ago! (After the bank I should of robbed of course!)

Holy Toledo, will you really get near that price? I should of bought 10 of these 20 years ago! (After the bank I should of robbed of course!)

Actually it isn't for sale. That is what it would take to buy it though. I had it sold last year for $65 and I decided to keep it because I can't replace it for that.
Find me another 172 with original paint, Original windows and original interior in the condition of mine! I got lucky finding it. I bought it from the 90 year old guy that bought it in 1975 and owned it the whole time. Anyone can buy a junky plane and put new paint and interior! You won't find another original like this :)
To me that adds a big premium on the value.
I have a Stearman, a Pitts, 140, J-3, Bonanza and some other cool stuff to fly. People always ask me why I still fly the 172. Because it is a nice airplane to fly........

Trying to find a good 182 myself, and its tough. Hopefully the dow keeps heading down and people get scared and start dumping their airplanes on to the market.

I have a REALLY clean low time 1973 172M. It has original paint, windows and interior. It is super clean and always been hangared. It has around 2900 TT and 220 SMOH that was done in 2014. It isn't your average 172 with faded original paint. $73,000View attachment 46262View attachment 46263View attachment 46264View attachment 46265View attachment 46266
Thanks for the offer. I just picked up an M model with 4000TT and 500 on the motor locally based for $49K. They're out there for the mid $40s. Nice clean plane though :)

Thanks for the offer. I just picked up an M model with 4000TT and 500 on the motor locally based for $49K. They're out there for the mid $40s. Nice clean plane though :)

I saw a couple here and there on Barnstormers. You gotta look for em' but they are out there.

I saw a couple here and there on Barnstormers. You gotta look for em' but they are out there.

Most of those are pretty in the picture and complete junk when you look at them. My buddy spent months traveling and looking at trashy 172's. Lots are corroded out to the max. He spent $10,000 traveling looking at bad planes until he found a nice one.

Lots of junk indeed. If you don’t know what you’re doing you can get screwed. I know a guy who bought a Grumman off eBay

I've got an N model that I am getting ready to list hear after the first of the year. It is in annual as we speak. PM if you have any interest and I will get information to you.

I would go P, then M, then N in that order.

The H2AD engine on the N is just a pain. Additive oil AD, cases always failing overhaul inspection and dual mag.

There are STC's to put the P engine in the N though, lots of folks are doing that now at overhaul time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I would go P, then M, then N in that order.

The H2AD engine on the N is just a pain. Additive oil AD, cases always failing overhaul inspection and dual mag.

There are STC's to put the P engine in the N though, lots of folks are doing that now at overhaul time.

I wouldn't touch an H series engine with a 10 foot pole. It miiight be kind of okay at a flight school where it's getting flown 50 hours a week, but it's still a terrible design.
It's not just the oil AD it's the cam and lifters themselves. The lycoming additive/camguard is a band-aid at best.

I wouldn't touch an H series engine with a 10 foot pole. It miiight be kind of okay at a flight school where it's getting flown 50 hours a week, but it's still a terrible design.
It's not just the oil AD it's the cam and lifters themselves. The lycoming additive/camguard is a band-aid at best.

Never had a bad cam or lifters, but it was in a flight school setting. I always theorized that the cam problems had been fixed with metallurgy but the AD remained anyway.

The cases would fail all the time because the whole idea of that engine series was that it was supposed to be lighter, so the walls and webs were thinner.

What is with the P engine that allows it to go 8000 hours past TBO? I taught at a flight school that had a P model that was 99.9% dispatch reliability and the only problem I had with it was a landing light switch that caught fire.

What is with the P engine that allows it to go 8000 hours past TBO? I taught at a flight school that had a P model that was 99.9% dispatch reliability and the only problem I had with it was a landing light switch that caught fire.
Uhhh what? Lol

Mandatory overhaul doesn't exist in part 91. Hence TBO is meaningless.
On condition.

Never had a bad cam or lifters, but it was in a flight school setting. I always theorized that the cam problems had been fixed with metallurgy but the AD remained anyway.

The cases would fail all the time because the whole idea of that engine series was that it was supposed to be lighter, so the walls and webs were thinner.

I don't know if they changed the materials, but the problem was the contact point of the cam and lifters was exactly as big as it needed to be to dissipate the heat and pressure created by the metal on metal that happens with flat tappet designs(jesus tapdancing christ, rollers were invented by fing cavemen!). If you get so much as a pin prick of corrosion on one of those surfaces, it quickly leads to total failure(spalling).

Back