Certificates question

PGT

My school syllabus says PPL > IR > ME > Comm. > CFI > CFII

however,

wouldn't it be better to do PPL > IR > Comm. > ME > CFI > CFII?

Define "better".

It all depends on what your goals are. There's no magic combination that yeilds the best path for every pilot.

My school syllabus says PPL > IR > ME > Comm. > CFI > CFII

however,

wouldn't it be better to do PPL > IR > Comm. > ME > CFI > CFII?
Yes, it would be better. Otherwise you're taking two multi checkrides before you even get a CFI.Then you take another one for your MEI.

PGT your first option ( more like PPL > IR > PPL-ME > Comm.ME>Comm SEL > CFI > CFII) is better if you want to start accumulating PIC ME hours. You'll need the PIC time for the MEI anyway. On the other hand, it's a more expensive route to take, including two separate multi checkrides as stated above. I personally went for the second option because it made more sense financially in my situation, so choose whatever fits you best. :)

Is it possible that in the first track it's actually a multi-engine commercial followed by a SE add-on?

At the same time, I can definitely understand getting a private multi first in order to get the PIC time.

they way i did it was ppl<ME<IR<MEC

next is the MEI then CFI/ASEL Commercial addon

that way all the twin time i logged for my IR is PIC as well as for my MEC ride. I did my instrument in the twin as well. All i had to do for my MEC was stalls, steep turns, slow flight, and short field take offs and landings. Most people do every thing in a single so there MEC ride is alot of work. Not only do you have to do all the multi engine stuff, Vmc ext, but you have to do a single engine ILS to hold a Multi Instrument rating. and then you also have to do the commercial maneuvers. Not to mention that the oral will be quite a bit longer when you have to get into Multi engine aerodynamics in addition to all the commercial questions. Thats a lot of work for one check ride. The way i did it not only spaced all that work over three different checkrides, but i also started logging multi engine PIC very early on. My advice to you, is to get your ME add on asap, you will thank your self in the long run.

Desiring to take the fewest number of checkrides as possible, I'd opt for the CSEL first and then do the multi add-on.

Back