Certificate Based on a Foreign ICAO License and Ratings

FlapOperator

Any traffic please advise
Hello all,

I am a commercial pilot with IFR, multi and instructor ratings (these are all classified as ratings in Brazil).

I went through the license validation as per 61.75 and got my private pilot VFR SE based on my brazilian private pilot license.

Also, I understand that multi in the US is more an endorsement than a rating, and CFI is a certificate rather than a rating too, correct?

With that in mind:
1) As per 61.75(c), can I add multi to my US PPL?
2) Do I have to go through the verification of my license again to add IFR to my US license since I used my Brazilian PPL for that and now I’m a commercial down here in Brazil? Or do I just fly with all three licenses in hand (US PPL, Brazilian PPL, Brazilian Commercial)?

I think that’s it for now. Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

Generally, the only thing you can get based on the foreign certificates is Private Pilot in the USA. Single and Multi - nothing needs to be done, just specify that on the validation request. Instrument - also specify on the validation request, you will need to do a very short written test.
After receiving your temporary certificate, it is only valid after completing a biennial flight review with an instructor. Don't remember if you need an instrument proficiency check, but that would probably be a good idea.
If you want to get further levels - like commercial multi - you would need to provide evidence that you meet the certificate requirements (like certain aeronautical experience - night time/cross country etc - bookmark it in your logbook and be prepared to prove that point A to point B is indeed however many miles etc), get a FAA instructor sign you off and take the written exam and checkride.

As of right now, only what your FAA private pilot certificate says on it (ASEL for example) is what you can fly here and the FAA certificate says in the limitation section that it is only valid if accompanied by the document, based upon which you were validated.

If your original FAA Foreign-based certificate was issued correctly, and I’m sure it was, the 61.75 certificate would mirror your privileges at the time - SEL, VFR only, “not for compensation or hire”.

Now that you have a Commercial, does the Private still exist? Has the license number changed (even from PP to CP)? The Private must still exist, with no license number change for the 61.75 cert to be valid.

By requesting a new License Verification, you can add MEL straight away, and if you sit the “Instrument for Foreign Pilots” knowledge test, you will add Instrument-Airplane.

If you only want to fly privately, you are all set.

Just remember, a Flight Review and IPC are also required.

Generally, the only thing you can get based on the foreign certificates is Private Pilot in the USA. Single and Multi - nothing needs to be done, just specify that on the validation request. Instrument - also specify on the validation request, you will need to do a very short written test.
After receiving your temporary certificate, it is only valid after completing a biennial flight review with an instructor. Don't remember if you need an instrument proficiency check, but that would probably be a good idea.
If you want to get further levels - like commercial multi - you would need to provide evidence that you meet the certificate requirements (like certain aeronautical experience - night time/cross country etc - bookmark it in your logbook and be prepared to prove that point A to point B is indeed however many miles etc), get a FAA instructor sign you off and take the written exam and checkride.

As of right now, only what your FAA private pilot certificate says on it (ASEL for example) is what you can fly here and the FAA certificate says in the limitation section that it is only valid if accompanied by the document, based upon which you were validated.
Thank you so much! And yes it would appear an IPC is needed.
As per going for my commercial in the States, it seems like a few flight hours prior to the checkride are still required, regardless how much experience the applicant has. I believe that classifies as training and, as per DHS laws, I would need to be either a citizen, resident, or be in the States with an M or F visa. Something to worry about later, but still in the plans! Again, thank you. And if anybody catches any mistake in my research, please, please, feel free to correct me.

Now that you have a Commercial, does the Private still exist? Has the license number changed (even from PP to CP)? The Private must still exist, with no license number change for the 61.75 cert to be valid.
Yes, the license number did chance once I got my Commercial, but my Private still exists – I least I believe it does. The National Civil Aviation Agency down here recently changed the online inquiry system for verifying certificates and my Private doesn't come up on that one, but it shows on the old system. And I still have the print card.
If I understand correctly, I can't just go again for a license verification (this time with my commercial), yeah? What happens if my Private has ceased to exist in Brazil? Would I need to request the FAA to terminate my US PPL certificate and go again for the verification?

This is beyond any help I was expecting to get. Thank you so much!

On a side note, I'd like to go to law school and persue and become an aviation attorney on the side of flying. Is that doable life-wise? (lol)

Multi in the US is a rating.
Thank you!

Back