Centennial of powered flight.

Mahesh

Happy centennial of flight to everyone. It's a special day for people like us who are so obsessed with aviation and everything related to it!

Mahesh

Just some rough stats to ponder today ...

250 million peope populate the U.S.
There are 600,000 "active" pilot certificates (including student certificates).
There are 300,000 "active" pilots who hold an Instrument Rating.
There are 130,000 "active" pilots who hold commercial certificates.
There are about 110-120,000 "active" ATP certificate holders.

"Active" only means the pilot holds a current medical.

So ... that equals, roughly, less than 1/4th of one-percent of the U.S. population holds any kind of FAA pilot certificate (student to ATP). Of that 1/4 of one-percent less than 1/4th hold a commercial certificate or higher!

In other words the city of Mesa - part of the PHX metro area - has more people (300,000) by almost twice than all the commercial pilots in the U.S. put together! And in comparison there are only roughly 650,000 doctors in the U.S. so even they outnumber commercial pilots but almost four times!

Holding anykind of pilot certificate is a big acomplishment!

Just think about those numbers for a bit. It's staggering sometimes.
grin.gif

A very Happy Centenial Of Flight to all of you to!
smile.gif

What a let-down with that wx. I was still excited as a boy on xmas morning, as the moment arrived but didn't transpire. Like not having Santa show up, but that's ok , the wx looks more promising for the 2:00 attempt.

Best wishes to the First Flight crew...

[ QUOTE ]

So ... that equals, roughly, less than 1/4th of one-percent of the U.S. population holds any kind of FAA pilot certificate (student to ATP). Of that 1/4 of one-percent less than 1/4th hold a commercial certificate or higher!

In other words the city of Mesa - part of the PHX metro area - has more people (300,000) by almost twice than all the commercial pilots in the U.S. put together! And in comparison there are only roughly 650,000 doctors in the U.S. so even they outnumber commercial pilots but almost four times!

Holding anykind of pilot certificate is a big acomplishment!

Just think about those numbers for a bit. It's staggering sometimes.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And they still think we are just air taxi drivers
mad.gif
confused.gif

Glad I didn't drive down to Lakeland, FL for the satellite uplink now. I would have a cool cancelled stamp, but the trip on a whole would have been a bust....
frown.gif

I think CNN and MSNBC are going to be covering it as well. They were ready to go (and did live remotes) at 10:30 am.

[ QUOTE ]
Glad I didn't drive down to Lakeland, FL for the satellite uplink now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you were coming to my neck of the woods and didn't drop me a line? Do I offend???
wink.gif
grin.gif

kidding.

It didn't make it off the ground after bad weather, and taking a while to start. One wing stuck in the mud. Looks like they may try again.

Wow, I just realized that I got my CFI on the 99th anniversary of flight. Thats right, I've had my CFI for one year today, woo hoo!
cool.gif

...and I share the same birthday as Charles Lindburgh (though not the same year
tongue.gif
). How ironic.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I just realized that I got my CFI on the 99th anniversary of flight. Thats right, I've had my CFI for one year today, woo hoo!
cool.gif

...and I share the same birthday as Charles Lindburgh (though not the same year
tongue.gif
). How ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were born to fly.

grin.gif

Yeah, well, I was born 74 years - and 10 days - after the first flight. So na na nah!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you were coming to my neck of the woods and didn't drop me a line? Do I offend???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that would be about half-way b/w your neck or the woods and mine.
smile.gif

Anyone want to make some bold, realistic-as-possible predictions about the state of aviation on the bicentennial?

Sure. Here's one for you. It will be different. Things will have changed.

And student pilots will still be flying planes that are older than they are.

tongue.gif

Back