Cedar Key, FL

centralhome

I was thinking of going to Cedar Key for the weekend. Just wondering if anyone had been there lately and where they may have stayed. And what they thought of it.
I've never been, but always wanted to.
Thanks

I was thinking of going to Cedar Key for the weekend. Just wondering if anyone had been there lately and where they may have stayed. And what they thought of it.
Thanks

There's a B&B and a small hotel there. But not really much else to do, unless you really like kayaking. Maybe I'd spend the afternoon there and the night somewhere else? Lots more going on around KTPF/KSPG/KSRQ, I'd probably pick those first if it were me.

Yeah, CDK is more about the experience of flying in. Town is pretty neat for a few hours, but not sure what else you would do there. Maybe stop, have lunch, and then come into SPG for stuff to do.

Yeah, CDK is more about the experience of flying in. Town is pretty neat for a few hours, but not sure what else you would do there. Maybe stop, have lunch, and then come into SPG for stuff to do.

SPG is probably the best choice - you have a theater, two museums, about 100 restaurants, a major league ball park and plenty of hotels, all walking distance from the airport. I would not attempt landing at cedar key at night if you haven't been there before anyway, and actually trying to fly any distance across Florida is much easier early mornings this time of year.

SPG is probably the best choice - you have a theater, two museums, about 100 restaurants, a major league ball park and plenty of hotels, all walking distance from the airport. I would not attempt landing at cedar key at night if you haven't been there before anyway, and actually trying to fly any distance across Florida is much easier early mornings this time of year.

Thanks

It's a neat little place. I go there about once a year. There are boat and kayak rentals and an interesting tour to an island wildlife refuge. Not a lot to do, but as a result, a nice place to relax.

There are a couple of small hotels, each with handful of rooms, downtown.

I and a friend went there a few months ago. It is definitely a cool little place. I don't think it is somewhere that I would want to say several days. Spending one night there in a bed and breakfast would probably be pretty cool though.

I would fly in there at least once a year when I was instructing and take a friend. It's been a while but the golf cart waiting for us at the end of the small ramp was something I always enjoyed. Arrange it ahead of time with the lady that drives the cab there and you'll have a blast.

Thanks

I've been there several times. The taxi lady's name is Judy. I have two phone numbers for her in my phone. (352) 493-5943 or (352) 543-5406. She usually listens to Unicom and will ask if you need transportation before you land. Parking is on the Southwest side abeam the approach end of runway 5.

Like others have already said, I usually make this a stop for the day, although I know some folks that have stayed at a B&B there. It's a fairly quiet community. There are a couple restaurants and shops on the water. Enjoy!

There are rental houses right on the water, within easy walking distance of the airport. I believe I paid less than $100 a night, and it came with fishing poles and tackle, a canoe, and other fun things. I have stayed there a couple times - I believe the info is on Airnav. There are no services on the field, so make sure you have enough gas. The restaurants are good, and lots of fun in the summer. If Judy is off duty for the night, call the pizza delivery place. They will take you to town.

One tip - the field lighting is inop, so get there before dark!

When I was flying out of Gainesville...we used to call Cedar Key the "Airplane Graveyard". Anytime an accident happened...it always happened during a night with a new moon and the pilot taking off over the Gulf of Mexico. Be careful!!

Back