Cathay Brits vs. Yanks

surreal1221

So is it true?

Considering it's a meritocracy at the company (right?), anyone mind sharing any of their experiences with the company, or more specifically any issues between the Brits and Americans working there? Especially from a line pilot's perspective. I can read all about the interview, etc over at PPrUNE or elsewhere.

I've just heard a couple nightmare stories about SO never upgrading to FO and FO's never upgrading to Captain because they're American and not the Queen's gift to Aviation.

I only know 1 pilot at Cathay and he is American. He recently upgraded to Captain on the 747 freighter. Interesting though as I have read similar things on ''another'' forum which makes me wonder what the truth is, are you looking into the SO position?

I only know 1 pilot at Cathay and he is American. He recently upgraded to Captain on the 747 freighter. Interesting though as I have read similar things on ''another'' forum which makes me wonder what the truth is, are you looking into the SO position?

They've always been a company I'd like to be a part of, but if I'm going to end up a life time SO then it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

I'm also a long way from making any attempt at getting hired there, so who knows.

Apparently, all new hire classes have been cancelled thru 2009 :(

We making plans for Nigel?

[yt]0C6bVckO_CM[/yt]

Looks like a crazed Jtrain at a Minute Fifteen.

;) It's far too damn early.

Mostly not true. The Brits are actually quite pleasant. There are jerks out there but nowhere near the level Pprune would have you believe. If you don't want to be an SO then wait until you have the mins for FO, problem solved.

As for the classes, that part is true. The only thing going for next year as of now are cadet classes.

They've always been a company I'd like to be a part of, but if I'm going to end up a life time SO then it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

I'm also a long way from making any attempt at getting hired there, so who knows.

So meritorious upgrade here bad, merit based upgrades there good? No comprendo.

As for Cathy, I know a couple of guys who went through the interview process, and it was brutal, they interview you, your family, give you a wicked physical (none of this 1st class medical stuff), and more. Its wild, though its an outstanding job. You'll have to get landing current in the sim as an SO.

The interview isn't too bad at all, largely blown out of proportion. Put in a good study effort and you will do fine. All of the gouge is out there and they expect that you went through the trouble to look at it. The medical is a bit more involved but that is another myth out there. It only has a couple of things additional to the FAA med. They do make a lot of guys get some additional tests but they still get the job if the tests are ok.

Appreciate the insight rjmore.

How many people who are on the cargo side eventually transition over to the passenger side? Or better yet, of those that you know, how many of them want to move from the cargo side of things over to the passenger side of things?

Also, if as a Cargo Captain and you wish to transfer to the Passenger side of the ship do you maintain your position?

Also I'm curious how many SOs upgrade to cargo FO. I know it's uncommon, but is it possible to make that move?

Hey guys, long trip and scarce internet this time. I'll get back to the thread in more detail as soon as I can.

Hey guys, long trip and scarce internet this time. I'll get back to the thread in more detail as soon as I can.

Don't play that game. Since I'm now rated, I know you can hook into the satcom and take care of all this. :yar:

P.S. The smoking jacket and manicure set are on back order.

See you in ANC.

Appreciate the insight rjmore.

How many people who are on the cargo side eventually transition over to the passenger side? Or better yet, of those that you know, how many of them want to move from the cargo side of things over to the passenger side of things?

Also, if as a Cargo Captain and you wish to transfer to the Passenger side of the ship do you maintain your position?

Ok, I'm finally here at my holiday destination so I have a few minutes.

There are three types on the cargo side. Those that want to go for the early command, those that want to go to pax fo, and those that want to keep living in a cargo port. Most of the guys like the cargo side but the trips are longer and more screwy. The pax fleet schedule is very rarely disrupted but the cargo stuff can get messy. Also for those of us on the older payscale, going to the pax fleet pays more. All that said, new guys are not designated cargo or pax, they are just FOs. If you are LAX or SFO based you would most likely end up flying pax trips. If you are JFK on the -400 then you would be doing cargo trips.

If one chooses the Freighter Captain route then you would stay there until your seniority could hold Pax Captain.

Also I'm curious how many SOs upgrade to cargo FO. I know it's uncommon, but is it possible to make that move?

I know four guys that have done it. You have to have at least 12 months in the company, meet the mins, and do an upgrade interview. It is definitely possible to make that move.

Back