CATER Program at Embry Riddle

**DONOTDELETE**

I am wondering if anyone can give me info. on the professional pilot training at CATER (Center for Aviation Training at Embry Riddle) program. I know that ERAU is a good school but I haven't heard anything about their relatively new CATER program. Positives/negatives about the training? How does it stack up against Flight Safety Academy, Sierra, etc? I already have a Bachelor's degree and am in my 30's so I am not interested in a traditional 4-year university aviation program. Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Randy

Randy, I'll be starting my training at CATER in March. I was sold on the school because of several factors: size (18 students per class (100 total in the school)), professionalism, and financing. The fleet is very well maintained and there is very little down time. The classroom building is plush and the training equipment is top notch. The school has a Frasca 142 sim and is in the process of adding two additional glass cockpit sims. The pro-pilot program is 8-10 months long (0-MEI) and the school will hire you once you complete your CFI. Once hired, all additional training is 25% off. If you or anyone else would like more info, please feel free to email me. Thanks, Steve

How much does the program cost and what are the requirements to get in? Also, where is the CATER located at?

CATER is located in DeLand, FL, about 15 miles west of Daytona Beach and the main university campus. I would caution anyone interested in CATER to understand the school is in the process of seperating its operations from the university. In other words, the school was founded under the umbrella of ERAU, became quite successful at producing quality pilots in its four years of operation, and is now going to stand on its own a profit-making 141 school. Believe me, however, when I left the school after my visit, I couldn't believe there wasn't more talk of this school on the net. I'm glad I got in before the secret got out!

The school's entry requirements are similar to other P141 schools (1st/2nd class medical, high school diploma, application fee, and course deposit). The school is pay-as-you-go. I've added all the course costs and estimated books and supplies and the total for 0 - MEI appears to be around 38 - 42k. However, the school now hires CFI's directly from their student pool and all CFI's receive a 25% discount on flight training. This should lead to a savings in the neighborhood of 4 - 6k.

I hope this info helps anyone who is interested in the school. As I wrote before, I'll be starting school in March. I'm a zero time student pilot. I'm 28 years old with a college degree that's earning me nothing. My wife says she's glad I had my midlife crisis early - maybe we can still retire in style! I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions about CATER now and when I start my training. I'll probably be changing email addresses soon, so anyone wanting updates via email, please send me a note now at stjtaj1@home.com and I'll keep you posted from sunny Florida!

CATERSTUDENT,
I AM ALSO 28 AND WAS THINKING OF GOING TO FLIGHT SAFETY IN VERO BEACH BECAUSE
OF THEIR PROGRAM WITH ASA BUT AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE MONEY UP FRONT DEAL AS I
AM NOT IN POSITION TO RAISE CLOSE TO 40K RIGHT NOW. DO YOU KNOW IF THE CATER
PROGRAM HAS A DEAL WITH A REGIONAL AIRLINE? ALSO COULD YOU EXPLAIN THE PAY AS
YOU GO PROGRAM (SUCH AS HOW MUCH INITIALLY AND SO ON). I WILL HAVE MY PRIVATE
WHEN I GO TO SCHOOL SO I WON'T NEED THAT, I GUESS IT WILL BE CHEAPER.

THANKS
CORY

If you go through the program and get hired as a CFI can you attend college classes at ERAU for free or reduced cost? If you are a full-fledged employee of ERAU you can but I'm not sure about CATER. I'm looking for the best way to get my college degree and flight train at the same time..
Thanks in advance..
Bryan

Sorry to be so long in posting a reply to the above posts. I've been busy moving to Daytona Beach and getting started in my training at CATER. I'm having a great time.

CATER is pay as you go. That is to say, you pay for your individual flight and oral activities after you complete each one. After my flight and debrief with the instructor, I simply go to the cashier and present her with my student ID card. She will then debit my flight account for the cost of the activity. Students can also pay with cash or credit card. This method of training allows you to pace yourself according to your finances. I borrowed the full cost of my training in order to avoid any gaps in the process.

If you are interested in getting the education and the flight training at the same time, you'll need to apply directly to ERAU. It's very competitive, so be prepared. My instructor at CATER just graduated from ERAU. He told me that his education cost $125,000. So, you should be prepared for the steep cost either way.

I hope this info helps! Please send any personal info requests to my email at judkiad8@db.erau.edu

I suppose part of the cost is because of the name attached to the school. Let's face it, a resume with Embry Riddle on it may actually get a little farther in the process than one with Joe's FBO on it. The school's cost is very much in line with the other big schools in the area (Comair, ATA, FlightSafety, etc.). As we've all learned at one point in our life, you get what you pay for. The local, cheaper alternative flight school, PhilAir, has had a crash and an engine failure forced landing in the past week. Am I glad I chose CATER? Absolutely.

Back