Carrier Arresting Cable Breaks

My dad was on the deck of the USS Saratoga back in the 70s.

He witnessed a cable failure one day and it chopped one guy's legs off, so fast that it was like a block of tetris cubes simply moving down a notch and the foundation disappeared. Amputee in seconds, out in the ocean. Not a good situation. Rare, but at least the people in the video here kept their legs hopefully. Incredible that the one guy jumped over it twice like that.

My dad was on the deck of the USS Saratoga back in the 70s.

He witnessed a cable failure one day and it chopped one guy's legs off, so fast that it was like a block of tetris cubes simply moving down a notch and the foundation disappeared. Amputee in seconds, out in the ocean. Not a good situation. Rare, but at least the people in the video here kept their legs hopefully. Incredible that the one guy jumped over it twice like that.
On the Kitty Hawk, it was high on the awareness scale. there was talk of people being beheaded by a slinging cable. Every time you were on the flight deck during ops it was a very dangerous place.

That guy got some serious air to avoid that cable. Michael Jordon kind of air, truly amazing!

Now that's jump rope with a purpose! I wish there were a TV show named Deadliest Traps instead of Deadliest Catch. Carrier flight deck crewmembers have crab fishermen beat hands down, and they do it for ~$30k a year.

Now that's jump rope with a purpose! I wish there were a TV show named Deadliest Traps instead of Deadliest Catch. Carrier flight deck crewmembers have crab fishermen beat hands down, and they do it for ~$30k a year.

and months and months at a time...

Back