Carnival Caribbean Cruise

[technical]I've never thought about it before (or did any research), but I would guess that at the equator there are sort of two *seasons*, each repeated twice a year. At the spring and autumn equinoxes the sun will be passing directly overhead the equator, thus the hottest day(s) of the year. At the summer solstice the sun will be as far north in the sky as any other time during the year, and the winter solstice will have the sun to the southern limit. I would say that these two days would be the *coldest* days of the year.
Therefore two *summers* (peaking at the equinoxes) and two *winters* peaking at the solstices.[/technical]
How's that for some worthless ruminating while I'm on the road?
smirk.gif

edit: by the way, I think that the mid-summer (northern hemisphere) days at the North lattitudes and the mid-winter (northern hemisphere reference) days at the Southern lattitudes are much longer (more hours of daylight) than any days at the equator.

Riiight...

What time will the sun set on Dec. 14-21?

Answer that in one paragraph or less...
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Riiight...

Answer that in one paragraph or less...
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Noon. (Somewhere)
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Noon. (Somewhere)

[/ QUOTE ]In my best Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett duet voice ...

"It's only half past twelve, but I don't care ... it's five o'clock somewhere ..."

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if you had ever been to Cayman or Jamaica?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flyitup - I've been to Jamaica (albeit, not on a cruise).

It's a beautiful island and the resorts are incredible. Ocho Rios and Dunns River Falls come to mind as great places to visit.

If I remember correctly, there's an open air market in Ocho Rios too.

Here are the things to be aware of:

1. If you want to see the "real" Jamaica, get out of the resorts and go driving inland. Jamaica is very scenic, but the population is VERY financially repressed. The Jamaican people are incredible! Especially in the resorts where they work their asses off for your money, but go anywhere outside of the resorts and you'll see why they love tourists. Tourism help keep that place alive.

2. Be ready to be offered drugs. The dealers are EVERYWHERE down there and they are not shy. They will approach you in broad daylight in the middle of a crowd. They just don't care. BUT - if you have in the back of your mind to buy - DON'T. Some of them are undercover and if you get arrested down there - well, good luck.

3. If you elect to drive down there, remember - they drive on the left side of the road. If you get up into the mountains - well - good luck, my friend.
laugh.gif
There will be buses PACKED with people, chickens, goats, etc. etc. etc. literally pouring out of the sides that come barrelling down those narrow, winding mountian roads.... with NO guardrails. It can make for an interesting week.
wink.gif

4. You will be constantly approached to buy things (including the aforementioned drugs). If you see something you like and want to buy - BARTER! You will more than likely be able to get a lower price.

Have fun and tell us all about it when you get back.

R2F

r2f is exactly correct on this one. There is an open air market as soon as you get to the top of dunns river falls, and they will literally attack you! This one guy was grabbing my arm pleading me to buy a wooden giraffe. Quite the expierence. We hired a guy to take us around the island in both directions, this is the way to go. Negril is beautiful, good snorkling, good everyting. We stayed in Montego Bay at one of the sandals, I was the only one that liked the constant departures and arrivals at nearby airport! All and all great place to go...Have fun...

Thanks for the info guys!

I was reading cruise reviews last night from people that have taken this cruise and nearly everyone had something negative to say about Jamaica... I guess we'll just need to be prepared for that..

Did you guys happen to go to Margaritaville while you were there?

Yes I think its the one with the big slide that goes into the ocean, I believe it was in Negril. If its what Im thinking of, its a must see. How much time will you have in Jamaica? Negril and Ocho Rios are about 2 hrs away from MBJ by car. You could always rent a plane!

[ QUOTE ]
How much time will you have in Jamaica?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately the ship is only their about 8hrs...

Back