Carnival Caribbean Cruise

flyitup

Well we’re getting geared up for our cruise that leaves next Sunday and I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have ever been on Carnival’s Conquest before? It leaves out of New Orleans and goes to Cozumel, George Town, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay, Jamaica. The ship is about a year old and is one of the largest in Carnival’s fleet. Anyone familiar with these ports? Any good ideas on what to do or see?

My step dad and I did a landscaping job to pay for it… Just $370/person for a 7 day cruise!! It was hard to say no at that price!

Thoughts or ideas?

Flyitup: Cruises ROCK!! My wife and I went on the Royal Carribean cruise to the Bahamas in June and absolutely loved it!!

You'll have a blast! The food is good and is pretty much non-stop. Alcohol is expensive, but if Carnival is anything like Royal Carribean, they do NOT short you on the booze.
wink.gif

You guys will love it!!

Have fun and we expect a full report when you get back!!
laugh.gif

R2F

Coco Cay (little island owned by RC) and Nassau.

There are Carnival cruises that leave out of the Port of Tampa and we fully intend on taking advantage of one of those one day.

[ QUOTE ]
There are Carnival cruises that leave out of the Port of Tampa and we fully intend on taking advantage of one of those one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes it easy! We have about a 13hr drive to New Orleans from here... Oh well... It's worth it!

Youll have a blast, I was on carnival a couple of years ago, not that paticular boat though. We ported out of San Juan, and bought a TON of booze there, and smuggled it on. My bar bill at the end of the week was 15 dollars which I easily made at the black jack table. The only pain is that you have to mix your drinks in the room. But hey, one guy I talked to on the ship said his bar bill was 1500, shoot I only paid 300 for the cruise. Have a good time, and the word of the day is smuggle.
cool.gif

Yeah I just was on a Royal Caribean cruise about a month ago. Its all about smuggling. If you get caught they will still keep it for you till the end of the trip. If you get caught again, remember the words "no habla ingles"....
You'll have a good time though.

we've only been on holland america - up to alaska...

I'm looking forward to taking a royal carribean cruise sometime and yes, even we smuggled some champagne on when we went on our cruise... just be "tactful" about it and don't look like your "smuggling"...haha

I've heard to make sure you have tips on hand and be generous because you will get much better service that way... on our holland america, tips were already included which was way nice...

oh you'll have SO MUCH FUN!! i'm so jealous... i wanna go cruise... again...
grin.gif

hey - maybe we should do a spring/summer jetcareers cruise? how many of you people get the travel industry discount? altho i dunno if we could get that many cabins on it...hmmm.. (sorry - not meant to track from the topic!)
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hey - maybe we should do a spring/summer jetcareers cruise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now THAT I might be able to talk Mrs. Ready2fly into!!!
laugh.gif

I would definatly save my money for that!

If you have over 16 people go on a Carnival Cruise, the rates are typically reduced.

I have been on almost 2 Carnival Cruises from LA (Missed the second one because my boyfriend had to have double hernia sergery..doh!)

The Baja Cruise is typically 3-4 days and fairly cheep. Having your tips and gratuities included in the price makes the trip run MUCH smoother. I organized the last cruise for 8 people aboard Carnival's Ecstasy. I had a Carnival Trip Planner who was SO much help. The group had a FANTASTIC time and plenty of pictures and stories to share with those of us who couldn't go.

I had taken the same cruise 3ish years earlier aboard the Holiday for my high school senior trip. Our school has a travel agency who comes in and sets up the trip and acts as a chaparone... not that we need one of those...

Anway... Cruises are awesome... I can't wait to go on my next one (barring any unseen health problems
crazy.gif
)

A Jetcareers cruise would be fantastic!
smile.gif

Like flyn_ace said, you can get group rates and discounts from Carnival. However, it may be just as easy and cheap for everyone to book the cruise themselves on Priceline.com or a similar website...

At any rate it that would be a blast!

I've been cruising for the past 6 years. I've been on Royal Caribbean, Norweigen, and a few others I've forgotten.

By far our best cruise was on the Adventure of the Seas (a Voyager-class ship owned by Royal Caribbean). It is one of 5 Voyager-class ships (the biggest in the world until the Queen Mary 2 rolls off the line next month). We loved it so much that we're going on the exact same ship in a few weeks.

Believe me time will fly and you will find yourself trying to find the money and time to book another. I think a 1 week cruise is way, way too short.
smile.gif

If you want any tips, suggestions, and comments on how to maximize your cruising experience don't hestitate to ask me. You can either post it here or PM me. I gave R2F some tips on his cruise when he booked it last year.

I agree... One week isn't long enough. 3, 4, or even 5 days is way too short!

We have been on two cruises previous to this one. One was Carnival Celebration (5day) and the other was Carnival Pride (7 day).

As far as advice goes Neil, I was wondering if you had ever been to Cayman or Jamaica? We're trying to find something worthwhile to do in those two places...

I have yet to go to Jamaica, but I have been to the Caymans. From what I can recall, I signed up for a shore excurison (SCUBA diving from what I can recall) and did that. Once that was over, we walked around the town ate at some of the local restaurants, spent money buying crap, and by that time it was time to board.

One word of caution.. be on time for boarding. The ship leaves promptly at the time they say the do. I usually try to be back to the ship an hour before they depart.

I've heard seven mile beach is pretty nice. We may just do that instead of spending money on an excursion (we aren't divers).

One more question for anyone that knows... Being winter, will the sun go down earlier their just like it does here? I realize it's near the equator... does that make a difference?? As you can tell, I'm not a real geography nut!

The closer you are to the equator, the less you are affected by seasons. Therefore, in theory, on the equator there is no change of seasons. I would imagine that the sun must stay up longer down there.

[ QUOTE ]
We may just do that instead of spending money on an excursion (we aren't divers).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are different excursions to do and SCUBA is just one. I believe some that were offered included horseback riding, taking Jeeps off road, sightseeing, hiking, and snorkeling.

You'll get a list of all the excursions that are available on your trip with your cruise packet or you'll find a list in your room (in your "Welcome Aboard" packet). If you can, I would book these excursions online, in advance. They go pretty quickly and the line at the excursion desk gets long.

So should we just start setting up annual Jetcareers.com meetings? Vegas in the fall, Salt Lake in the winter, maybe a cruise in the spring and a fly in during the summer?

We spend too much time here...or at least I do
smile.gif

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I went on the Mexican Riviera Carnival cruise and loved it. If there is jetcareer cruise in the making, I'm definitely up for it. When I did the cruise, after two people paid for their tickets it was like $200 or $250 a person after that. Who knows what a group rate may be?

[ QUOTE ]
The closer you are to the equator, the less you are affected by seasons. Therefore, in theory, on the equator there is no change of seasons. I would imagine that the sun must stay up longer down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn something new everyday!

Back